Under the recipe portion of the app, how do I know what the the serving size is?

Options
noifer1972
noifer1972 Posts: 1 Member
I realize it'll say serving size is for four people. If you're making soup, how do I know how much exactly since it's not listed
For example, if you're making soup it'll say for 4 people how do I know what portion to dish out?

Answers

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    Because recipes list ingredients with various types of measurements (weight, volume, and so on) there is no way for the recipe editor to calculate how many servings of a particular size will result when the various items are combined.

If you're not sure how many servings a recipe will produce, enter a best-guess number when you first create the recipe.

After the recipe is prepared, you can manually measure the number of servings that have been produced. Then, the recipe can be edited and the correct number of servings can be entered.

We would also recommend then putting in the actual serving amount in the title of the recipe to then remember how much each serving weighs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    What some of us do is weigh the total finished dish (all the servings), then enter the number of grams (not including the pan or baking dish) into the number of servings. Then, when we eat (say) a bowl of our soup that's 212 grams, we log 212 servings.

You'll get a warning message from MFP when you put a very large number of servings in the recipe, but it will let you go forward with it.

You'd need to remember to weigh the pan when it's empty, so you can subtract the pan weight from the finished pan full of soup. Some people make a list of their commonly-used pans/baking dishes and their weights, tape it inside a cupboard door or something.
This discussion has been closed.