Please, someone convince me I need to take a day off

Options
Hi everyone,

Here's my problem. I reachedmy goal weight and decided to make another goal, which is just a few pounds less. I'm eating about 1800 calories a day and I run between 40 and 45 minutes a day. The problem is I run every day. Even on vacation I work out when my kids are sleeping with my husband in the hotel room. I don't take a day off. I'm beginning to think this probably isn't very smart but I worry if I take a day off I won't reach my goal. I know it's stupid and is all in my head but I'm struggling with it. Is it bad that I'm running every day or should I take a break? I love eating 1800 calories a day so if I took a day off I think I would struggle only eating about 1300 to 1400 calories a day. So, any advice for me?

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    How can a stranger on the Internet convince you to believe something you already know is true?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I took my first day off in months 2 days ago. No walks, nothing, just staying home and do nothing all day. I felt guilty. I was really sore from a workout though and I had cramps so it was not a good day. I ate the same amount as usual. I don't think it made any difference.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Here's my problem. I reachedmy goal weight and decided to make another goal, which is just a few pounds less. I'm eating about 1800 calories a day and I run between 40 and 45 minutes a day. The problem is I run every day. Even on vacation I work out when my kids are sleeping with my husband in the hotel room. I don't take a day off. I'm beginning to think this probably isn't very smart but I worry if I take a day off I won't reach my goal. I know it's stupid and is all in my head but I'm struggling with it. Is it bad that I'm running every day or should I take a break? I love eating 1800 calories a day so if I took a day off I think I would struggle only eating about 1300 to 1400 calories a day. So, any advice for me?

You just said you reached your goal. Then you said you are afraid you won't reach your goal. If your body feels like it needs a rest, you need to rest it, otherwise you may have a set back that makes it where its awhile before you reach your goal via an injury.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, if you can recover...

I like to take off days just to give my joints a rest, I can feel the difference in my knees. As far as muscles and everything else goes, I personally don't need rest days from my usual workouts. Because I can recover. Do you need them? Maybe, maybe not. Nobody can tell you. We don't know your joints, muscles, how intense you work out and how fast you recover. You know your body best.

It's always good to take at least one day a week off for safety reasons, just to prevent injuries, but it isn't, by no means, a must...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is me...convincing you to take a day off. Just do it. Don't think about it. It won't kill you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

What are your stats? I am 5ft5 and 130something pounds and I am losing bodyfat on net 1800 so I don't think you will suddenly gain weight if you still ate 1800 cals on a rest day as well....
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I know some retirees at the gym who've done 5 miles a day for decades. Hasn't hurt them. My body can't handle that kind of impact on my joints so I have to mix it up. But I still do some sort of physical activity every day.

Why do you feel you need a break? Are you worried about an injury? Or perhaps people are telling you that you've become obsessed?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My strongest, fastest, most enjoyable runs are always the ones the day following a rest day.

Part of this process of getting healthier is learning to know our body, and being kinder to it than we used to. Be kind to your body - let it have a rest once in a while. You won't hurt your progress, I promise.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ... If only we all had your problem...

Just because you take a rest day doesn't mean you have to decrease your cal intake. It is okay to eat regularly on rest days. One day will NOT deter your from your goals. I would bet my entire existence on it. Everyone needs a veg day, so just relax and veg out. You won't die, and you won't get fat from just one day. You will survive. And you will make your goal in the same amount of time.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I usually find that I actually drop some weight after taking a day or two off. Your body needs time to recover, it's definitely not going to hurt you and is good for your body.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about taking a day off, why not just take a day to do something different? Go for a bike ride, do a workout DVD, walk, dance, yoga, strength train.....that way, you'll still burn calories, but you'll exercise different muscles.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a little under 5'5" and weigh 123 pounds. My original goal was 125, which was my pre-pregnancy weight, but since I really wasn't thrilled with it I made my new goal 117. I was about 115 when I got married and I was really happy with the way I looked so I think I'll be happy with 117. After having three kids though I think it's going to be tough because things do fit differently. I just wasn't sure if it was safe to run everyday or if your body needs a recovery day.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    ... If only we all had your problem...

Just because you take a rest day doesn't mean you have to decrease your cal intake. It is okay to eat regularly on rest days. One day will NOT deter your from your goals. I would bet my entire existence on it. Everyone needs a veg day, so just relax and veg out. You won't die, and you won't get fat from just one day. You will survive. And you will make your goal in the same amount of time.

I think I have her problem, and it is as much a problem as those who rest too often and make bad choices too often.

The fear of not constantly striving to do it just right is crippling and just as unhealthy as those who don't put enough effort in. The guilt of not doing it right one day, the fear of screwing up one day and that sending you into a downward spiral of horrible habits and health can be overwhelming.

I have to rationalize that it is ok to take rest days and that the rest days are best for my body. I have had to figure out my TDEE and use that as my goal instead of eating and then eating back exercise calories so that I didn't feel like I had to over restrict on rest days. I check my weekly Net calories average on my app to keep myself in the healthy balance of eating and enjoying food and exercising.

For my health I have to force myself to take rest days. My shins, knees, and feet thank me. I have to force myself to take rest days because my psyche needs to know a rest day won't send me spiraling into obesity. I have to force myself to have an over day from time to time to force myself to understand that balance is more important than small pants.

To OP take a rest day every so often. It is good for your body. Daily workouts like you are doing are good to an extent but without rest you will stagnate. You will not get faster or stronger if you always do the exact same things all the time. If you want to exercise everyday at least mix it up...some days go for a bike ride, run others, etc and don't forget to enjoy life with balance
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How can a stranger on the Internet convince you to believe something you already know is true?

This.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is me. Thank you so much for your post. It makes me feel good that there are other people out there who feel the same way I do. I can't remember my last day off so tomorrow I will make myself take a day off. I'm always chasing after our three kiddos so I'm still always active!

I think I have her problem, and it is as much a problem as those who rest too often and make bad choices too often.

The fear of not constantly striving to do it just right is crippling and just as unhealthy as those who don't put enough effort in. The guilt of not doing it right one day, the fear of screwing up one day and that sending you into a downward spiral of horrible habits and health can be overwhelming.

I have to rationalize that it is ok to take rest days and that the rest days are best for my body. I have had to figure out my TDEE and use that as my goal instead of eating and then eating back exercise calories so that I didn't feel like I had to over restrict on rest days. I check my weekly Net calories average on my app to keep myself in the healthy balance of eating and enjoying food and exercising.

For my health I have to force myself to take rest days. My shins, knees, and feet thank me. I have to force myself to take rest days because my psyche needs to know a rest day won't send me spiraling into obesity. I have to force myself to have an over day from time to time to force myself to understand that balance is more important than small pants.

To OP take a rest day every so often. It is good for your body. Daily workouts like you are doing are good to an extent but without rest you will stagnate. You will not get faster or stronger if you always do the exact same things all the time. If you want to exercise everyday at least mix it up...some days go for a bike ride, run others, etc and don't forget to enjoy life with balance
    [/quote]
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Anything you feel compelled to do while worrying about is probably an issue. Can I say for sure? No. But I would discuss it with someone I trusted that was knowledgable.

Congrats on your weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I try and build in at least one rest day per week, sometimes two ...i usually do HIIT/Abs on wednesday and about once a month I will not to the HIIT but still do the ab work ..just depends on how I am feeling..

My advice, listen to your body ..if you are feeling sore/tired/run down then take a rest day...
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Anything you feel compelled to do while worrying about is probably an issue. Can I say for sure? No. But I would discuss it with someone I trusted that was knowledgable.

Congrats on your weight loss.
    You're developing an art for putting down posters on this forum. You think many of the posters around here are ignorant, we get it.

Geez, I wasn't trying to put her down at all. Really? Nor do I think she is ignorant in any way. Not sure where you got that from what I wrote.

Poster, if that is how it came across to you I apologize.