Phentermine, The Pill that Makes Me Crazy as a Loon

Options
I've did it. I'm most likely in a crazed and crazy as hell state again. I've been dieting for 2 weeks before and lost 3lbs, decent weight loss, then I went back on Phentermine and Topiramate and I've lost 12lbs in one week. It's not a healthy weight loss, and the worst part is the anxiety it causes me, and the fact I'm aware of it. It's a horrible feeling, feeling like my world is going to come crashing down. I worry about money and everything when I'm taking Phentermine, it makes no sense. When I'm not on it, never, I'm fine. Weeks might cut close, but I never worry about it, when I'm on Phentermine, I FREAK the heck out. I've held off telling my Dr. in the past because it's worked so well.

People talk about rebound weight, but I really have never suffered rebound weight from Phentermine the last time I was on it. I used it to jump start my original 100lbs weight loss, I took Phentermine for 2 months then went cold turkey on it as I continued diet and exercise then my life went to hell after awhile. Decided a diet and lifestyle change wasn't on the menu. After about a year I'm back. I gained about 30lbs back over a period of a little over a year, a very very stressful year.

I decided to jump start it again, and while the loss has been wonderful, the anxiety and everything has been just incredibly horrible. I can cope with it, I just keep finding myself having to tell myself that everything is going to be okay. Things I never had to do before. I'm not getting a huge burst of energy either but I never really did.

Anyone else have any experience with Phentermine and had anxiety issues? Did it go away? The first time I didn't have near these issues. I am wondering if the stress of the last year is causing some of these issues.

Also, yes, I know Phentermine isn't the healthiest way to go about it. I'm using it as a jump start, I need a spark to really get me going sometimes. Last time the Phentermine gave me that spark and after the 2 months I went on and did great for over a year without it. Then a messy marriage issue, health issue with a kid of mine (one of the worst things to have to go through) and some other stuff hit all at once. I decided to focus on the family then myself.

Replies

• weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    HI, I have been taking the phen/top combo for about 5 weeks now and have lost 11 pounds.. I sure understand the stress part of your story! I had gastric bypass in 2008 and lost a max of 130, in the past couple years, I have gained back 30 and not quite sure what to do because I did not want to hop back on the dieting merry go 'round. We moved to Nevada the end of 2011 and I really lost touch with my weight loss support connections and I think that contributed to the weight gain and the bad habits creeping back in. I did see a bariatric doctor here and had some tests and also got back into the the weight loss support network, as well as signing up at a clinic for the combo. I never lost to my goal, so like you, am hoping for some sort of jump start for positive progress that will help me continue on my own after awhile. I need to lose 50-60 more pounds. Have you looked into the Qsymia drug? it is the combo, but formulated extended release, less phen, more top and is getting pretty good results.

What dose are you on?

There is a phentermine users group if you want to try to post there. I will add you as a friend and maybe we can stay in touch, especially since we are both down 100+ and back up 30 or so...

I am using MFP to log my food, mostly during the day, helps me realize I do not have enough calories left to eat late at night.

keep in touch...

Louise
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    HI, I have been taking the phen/top combo for about 5 weeks now and have lost 11 pounds.. I sure understand the stress part of your story! I had gastric bypass in 2008 and lost a max of 130, in the past couple years, I have gained back 30 and not quite sure what to do because I did not want to hop back on the dieting merry go 'round. We moved to Nevada the end of 2011 and I really lost touch with my weight loss support connections and I think that contributed to the weight gain and the bad habits creeping back in. I did see a bariatric doctor here and had some tests and also got back into the the weight loss support network, as well as signing up at a clinic for the combo. I never lost to my goal, so like you, am hoping for some sort of jump start for positive progress that will help me continue on my own after awhile. I need to lose 50-60 more pounds. Have you looked into the Qsymia drug? it is the combo, but formulated extended release, less phen, more top and is getting pretty good results.

What dose are you on?

There is a phentermine users group if you want to try to post there. I will add you as a friend and maybe we can stay in touch, especially since we are both down 100+ and back up 30 or so...

I am using MFP to log my food, mostly during the day, helps me realize I do not have enough calories left to eat late at night.

keep in touch...

Louise

Thanks, I'm taking 37.5mg phen, and 100mg top.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Did you work your way up to that top dose of 100mg?

I started at 25, then moved to 50mg after 2 weeks. Two days after that, my blood pressure crashed, so I stopped my meds for that and just monitor my bp, which has been pretty good. I would love to get off bp meds altogether.

I want to talk to my doc next week about going to 75 of the top and see how that goes. I am on 37.5 phen, plus another half that I just started taking when I take the top 4-5 hours after I take the first phen. I am not real comfortable taking that much phen - especially in light of the Qsymia dosing. Now that I am off caffeine for a week, it is not as bad - I waited a few days after switching to decaf before I added the extra half. The fourth week on the phen I really started noticing the effects of the phen and the caffeine.

ttyl
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Did you work your way up to that top dose of 100mg?

I started at 25, then moved to 50mg after 2 weeks. Two days after that, my blood pressure crashed, so I stopped my meds for that and just monitor my bp, which has been pretty good. I would love to get off bp meds altogether.

I want to talk to my doc next week about going to 75 of the top and see how that goes. I am on 37.5 phen, plus another half that I just started taking when I take the top 4-5 hours after I take the first phen. I am not real comfortable taking that much phen - especially in light of the Qsymia dosing. Now that I am off caffeine for a week, it is not as bad - I waited a few days after switching to decaf before I added the extra half. The fourth week on the phen I really started noticing the effects of the phen and the caffeine.

ttyl

I started at that and then next month moving up to 200mg.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Have you noticed any side effects at the 100 mg? Are you planning any changes to your phentermine dose?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You just wrote a post on everything negative regarding it and the only positive is quick weight loss.

I've take it before and have been far more successful losing weight with MFP and best of all- no crazy side effects.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Melissa22G, who are you directing your post to?
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know what phentermine is, but what is topiramate? What is it's purpose?
  • Melissa22G
    Options
    Melissa22G, who are you directing your post to?

The OP.

" I'm most likely in a crazed and crazy as hell state again"
    " It's not a healthy weight loss, and the worst part is the anxiety it causes me, and the fact I'm aware of it."
    " It's a horrible feeling, feeling like my world is going to come crashing down. I worry about money and everything when I'm taking Phentermine, it makes no sense."
    " when I'm on Phentermine, I FREAK the heck out."
    "I decided to jump start it again, and while the loss has been wonderful, the anxiety and everything has been just incredibly horrible."

I just quoted everything that has caused concern with the pill the OP is taking.

I'll say again, *I'd* prefer to lose weight while not freaking out or having anxiety.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Janupshaw,

Topiramate was recently approved by the FDA for weight loss, but has been prescribed off label for years. It is a drug used to treat seizures and found out that those patients were losing weight.

The topiramate dulls the taste sensation and may also help with cravings. I think part of the reason it helps is because the food is less tasty, you are less interested in eating it. It helps me to not eat after dinner, too.

The dose prescribed for weight loss is generally far less that what is used for treating seizures.

There is a new drug on the market, Qsymia, which is a combination of phentermine and topiramate in an extended release formulation and the phen dose is much less and it has been shown to be pretty effective. So now some people are back to the phen/top combo and changing up the dosages, because it is cheaper.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Topiramate
    Prescription drug
    Consult a doctor if you have a medical concern.
    Helps control and prevent certain kinds of seizures. Also prevents migraine headaches in adults.
    Side effects - Warnings - How to use
    National Library of Medicine
    Brand name: Topamax
    Pregnancy risk: Category D (Positive evidence of risk)
    Possible side effects: Weight loss, Somnolence, Anorexia
    May treat: Migraine, Pain, Seizure, Bipolar disorder, Tonic–clonic seizure, Focal epilepsy, Infantile Spasms
    Drug class: Anti-epileptic Agent
    Other drugs in same class: Gabapentin, Lamotrigine, Valproic acid, More
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been on both since June. All it has done for me is gotten me off Diet soda. I can curl up on the couch and fall asleep. NOt sure why it's having this effect. This is the last month trying before we try something else. :(
  • Melissa22G
    Options
    OP must be bored :) Hard to believe someone that would write the message below in another message board and has lost 60+ lbs would create such a _______ topic.

"TOPIC: How do I maximize weight loss? Fri 08/30/13 04:55 PM

To maximize weight loss:

Eat Clean
    Eat At a Deficit
    Work Out and Move Your Rear
    Don't Slack and Don't Cheat

There is no short cuts."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Never taken phentermine (for good reason), but just wanted to chime in as someone who has a very high level anxiety disorder...

If you have anxiety you probably shouldn't be taking such a strong and potent stimulant... or ANY stimulant for that matter.

It's sort of a cop out in my opinion and clearly you're capable of losing on your own through diet and exercise, right? I'd rather do that than cause excess stress on my vascular and nervous system with phentermine!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Double post, sorry!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm on 25mg top and 30 mg phen. I started at 15mg phen and the next month went to 30 noticed I was eating after it wore off so I went to 2 doses of 15. one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Still not seeing any results. :( NOt sure what the doctor will do :(
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I took it about 2 years ago, only for a week because it made me have an anxiety attack (while I was at work, I thought I was going to die at first because I didn't know what was happening)! That was it for me, haven't taken it since and would never consider it again. Not worth it, imo, and slower loss is better for losing fat and not muscle anyways.

I had increased anxiety issues after taking it, I'm not saying it caused it but it might have triggered it or something because it wasn't really a big issue before.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I took Phen Phen (fenfluramine/phentermine) back in the day when it was all the rage (mid 90's). I lost a ton of weight, but soon after the drug combo was taken off the market due to deadly side effects (caused potentially fatal pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems). I always regretted taking those medications as I could have caused myself great harm or even death. No one truly knows the long term side effects of the drugs you are taking. Please stop taking the drugs....it won't matter if you lose weight if the drugs harm you in the end. You can lose weight and be healthy without them.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    I had better results with eating less when my Top was raised to 50 mg...I also log on MFP, but mostly during the day, during the week. I track to make sure I am eating every few hours because it is better for me and also so that I am less likely to justify that I have plenty of calories left over to eat at night after dinner - bad habit for me.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Fenfluramine was taken off the market - that is the one that caused that problems.