Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

weight in addition to serving when adding recipe

Options
DaHagge
DaHagge Posts: 2 Member
When adding a meal, the user is only able to add an amount of servings per recipe. Following other discussions, I am not the only one who would at least like to see how much weight one serving is. Another option would be to simply give the user the option to select a weight unit insted of serving. I mean there is a drop down list, but you can only select 'serving' from it, honestly? I have started to split my recipes into 100g per serving, and have to calculate the total weight manually in advance, as the platform doesn't provide any help with that. That's quite annoying.

Looking forward to see some improvements.
Tagged:
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't know how much your finished recipe weighs in total: It isn't necessarily the sum of the ingredient weights, for anything that involves cooking. Some cooking methods typically make food lighter (like baking/roasting) but others make food heavier (like steaming/boiling). It can't calculate the total weight of the food, so it can't calculate weight per serving.

What many of us do is weigh the finished dish, then set the number of servings to the total number of grams. Then, if we eat (say) 123 grams of the food, we'd log 123 servings. That works fine.

Two caveats:

You'll get a message from MFP when you put in a giant number of servings as you enter the recipe. (I forget what it says, but it amounts to "did you really mean that?!".) Just go on with it, and it'll store.

Remember to weigh the dish you're baking/cooking in when it's empty, if you'll weigh the finished food in that. That way, you can way the whole thing, subtract the pan/dish weight, and know the cooked food's weight. Some people make a list of the weights of their most frequently used pans/baking dishes, tape it on the inside of a cupboard door or something like that.

• DaHagge
    DaHagge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi AnnPT77,

thank you for the reply and the tipps!
    I will try that approach, although weighting a whole meal, when it is still in a big hot pan seems not very comfortable to me (some of my empty pans weigh more than our scale can handle). But I can see the point in changing the overall weight by the cooking method.

Maybe if I change my approach in a good direction, MFP will add grams in addition to serving per recipe and removes the warnings when adding a lot of servings ;-)

• mhhome
    mhhome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got a larger base, heavier duty scale just for this purpose (I still use the light one for everyday). I also have a notepad on my phone of empty pot weights. So after cooking, I put a potholder on the larger scale, zero the scale, then add the full pot. Subtract the empty weight from the full weight and divide by serving to give me the weight in grams per serving. Not the easiest, but recipes do vary as you make them even with the same measured ingredients. Maybe not a whole lot, but its worth it to me to do a little weighing and math to make sure I'm not waaaay off