Right activity settinf

Hi can anyone help with picking the right activity setting? I weight train 5 days about 45 minutes and do daily walking our cycle for hour. According to Apple Watch this is usually around 450-550 active calories and about 2,450-2,600 total calories.

If I want to lose .5lb or even maintain which active setting should I choose?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 4,664 Member
    If you want to use MFP the way it's intended, none of what you posted is relevant: your activity level should reflect only your non exercise activity, and exercise should be logged separately.

So the question is: how active are you outside of exercise? Job, commute, chores, hobbies,...?

And whatever activity level you choose, I recommend monitoring your weight over 4-6 weeks (or 1-2 cycles for menstruating women) and adjusting your calorie goal upwards or downwards if necessary. MFP's calorie goal is calculated based on population averages and you may or may not be average.

Totally alternative strategy: you could use Apple as a starting point. So eat between 2,450-2,600 (for maintenance) and 2200-2350 calories (0.5lbs loss per week). And, because Apple also estimates based on averages, monitor and adjust if necessary.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,569 Member
    With an Apple Watch set it to minimum activities, link it to MFP, and let it take the calorie reduction from there. It is much more conservative than the Apple Watch but seems to work better for me in my calorie adjustment.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 4,664 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    With an Apple Watch set it to minimum activities, link it to MFP, and let it take the calorie reduction from there. It is much more conservative than the Apple Watch but seems to work better for me in my calorie adjustment.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation correctly.
    With an activity tracker correctly linked to MFP, the tracker's TDEE minus the necessary deficit should be the same as following MFP's calorie goal.
    From what I've heard though, Apple doesn't sync correctly with MFP which would explain why one method would appear more conservative than the other.