Barcode reader either states "Invalid Barcode" or the endless "searching" icon

Options
mfiene
mfiene Posts: 2 Member
iPhone 10. MFP does have camera access. MFP is up to date. Barcode-scanner use to work most times, a couple of app revisions back, then recently all I get is "Invalid Barcode" or the endless "searching" icon and then the app crashes. I type the barcode in manually and it recognizes the code. I went to premium so I could get back the barcode reader but now I am regretting my decision. The only way I have been able to get the barcode to read correctly is to have the barcode out of the camera view and then move the code into the camera view from the left side, but not too fast and not to slow.

What am I doing wrong?

Answers

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    Apologies for any problems you are having with the barcode scanner. Please reach out to our dedicated support team for further assistance via https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us or email directly to support@myfitnesspal.com
  • mfiene
    mfiene Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Solved! Did some experiments today and found that when I isolate the UPC bar code from surrounding text and images on the label; it works. The issue is that many manufactures are printing Datamatrix and QR codes next to the barcode now. The app and/or phone camera is reading all the codes, not just the UPC bar code, so it generates an "Invalid Barcode" error. If the app can be updated to ignore non-UPC barcodes then it should work as intended. The work around for now is to block out the non-UPC codes.
This discussion has been closed.