3 Month long plateau.

Options
So, Hi there, Im Maria and I am 19 years old.

Im 5'6"
200 Pounds (fluctuating between 200-203 every other week)
and I've been this way for over 2 months now.

I started out at 225 and when I started to lose weight I was just on the MRC diet (Its a diet center that is low calorie, low carb, high protein and it uses ketosis to help you lose weight) you also had to buy their nutrition drinks. WHICH WERE SO EXPENSIVE.

so after dropping about 20 pounds with them I had to leave, I got a gym membership and I started working out and counting calories. With my activity level (working out 3-4 days a week) several online calculators told me to maintain my weight at about 2600 calories. so I removed 500 from that for my deficit.

so that put me at around 2100 calories, and I would eat back most of my exercise calories for the day.

Yet, after switching off the MRC diet, I've seen no results and it's getting very frustrating. I know physically I have gotten /stronger/ I can lift more weight than when I first started and I have also built up my endurance (try only being able to run for 30 seconds and then kicking that up to 2 minutes)

I figured "maybe im losing body fat, and gaining muscle?" so when I got my BF% checked out at my gym again, I had only lost 1% of fat.

I know I havent been eaitng 100% clean and healthy foods, Im a broke college student and I do what I can. even if Its nasty food I still count within my goal.

Another thing, I havent been drinking "pure water" as much as I should, orange juice and lite lemonade has been my primary source of liquids. could that have something to do with it?

Please I need honest advice please! I just want to drop down to my goal weight :(

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    A lot of calorie calculators grossly overestimate your TDEE, I've found. I workout every day for an hour or two (burn between 300 and 500 calories) but I have to use the 'light activity' setting to actually get close to my TDEE (I determined it with a fitbit) because I don't move that much otherwise. So it really depends on what you do the rest of the day, too.

So, you're probably eating too much. Make sure you weigh and log everything you eat or drink also, it's very easy to underestimate portions.
  • lewbob69
    Options
    dont eat back you exercise calories dont even plug them into mfp
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A lot of calorie calculators grossly overestimate your TDEE, I've found. I workout every day for an hour or two (burn between 300 and 500 calories) but I have to use the 'light activity' setting to actually get close to my TDEE (I determined it with a fitbit) because I don't move that much otherwise. So it really depends on what you do the rest of the day, too.

So, you're probably eating too much. Make sure you weigh and log everything you eat or drink also, it's very easy to underestimate portions.

I used the calculator from the ACE website (Trainers swear by it) and a few trainers at my gym said that MFP underestimates calories a lot. So Im getting a lot of confusion here!

Im afraid if I eat under, Ill go into starvation mode (if I dont log, Im usually always under my goal) But If I eat too much, Ill maintain or gain, which Im terrified of. I am just so confusedddd.
  • Francl27
    Options
    dont eat back you exercise calories dont even plug them into mfp

It depends on what you use. If you use TDEE-20%, you can't eat your exercise calories back, so either log it as 1 calorie, or don't. But if you've been eating at TDEE-20% and eating your calories back, that's your problem.

If you use the MFP method though, just enter your info and eat your exercise calories back.

ETA: the TDEE calculators include exercise in your activity, MFP doesn't, that's why.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    Wouldn't that put my net too low and send me into starvation mode?
  • Francl27
    Options
    The TDEE calculators include exercise in your activity already. So by adding your exercise calories, you're pretty much eating your deficit away.

MFP doesn't, that's why if you use MFP goals you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    The TDEE calculators include exercise in your activity already. So by adding your exercise calories, you're pretty much eating your deficit away.

MFP doesn't, that's why if you use MFP goals you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back.

MFP has me eating at 1700 calories at the moment. I assumed that was too low. Maybe I should just go back to using MFP strictly, even though Ive had several people tell me it was incorrect with a lot of information.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Either one should work - if you use MFP, log the exercise and eat back the cals. If you go with TDEE, log the exercise as .1 (which will enter it as 0), and just eat at, or close to, goal.

How long has it been since you quit the diet you were doing before? And have you also taken measurements, noticed clothes fitting any looser?

The fact that you are getting stronger and your endurance has increased is good, so you are making progress there!
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but you may be under estimating how many calories you are actually eating. Are you logging everything including drinks, condiments, butter, a bite of a cookie or brownie here and there? Do you weigh your food so that when you log a 4 oz hamburger, you know that is acutally how much you are eating? These small amounts of calories add up very quickly and you could be eating 300-500 more calories (or more) per day that you are not logging. I used to just eyeball my serving sizes and when I actually started weighing how much cerael I was eating I was shocked to find out I was acutally eating 3-4 servings instead of the 1 serving I was logging.
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much. There is not starvation mode (not in the way you are thinking). Do not eat back your exercise calories. It really is that easy.

In fact, dont even log your exercise on MFP if you are going to be tempted to eat them back. Do the 1700 for two weeks and if you dont lose, come back.

You have been eating at maintenance for three months. That is why you dont lose.
  • Francl27
    Options

MFP has me eating at 1700 calories at the moment. I assumed that was too low. Maybe I should just go back to using MFP strictly, even though Ive had several people tell me it was incorrect with a lot of information.

Well you can do 1700 plus exercise calories, or TDEE-20%, but IMO 2600 is too high a TDEE for you, unless you burn 1000 calories in your workouts or something. Either way you should probably eat an average of 1900 daily, I'd think.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    Either one should work - if you use MFP, log the exercise and eat back the cals. If you go with TDEE, log the exercise as .1 (which will enter it as 0), and just eat at, or close to, goal.

How long has it been since you quit the diet you were doing before? And have you also taken measurements, noticed clothes fitting any looser?

The fact that you are getting stronger and your endurance has increased is good, so you are making progress there!

It's been abour 3 months since I quit that diet haha. the center has my measurements and I have noticed clothes fitting looser. Pants I bought that were tight on me are now sagging off my butt.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but you may be under estimating how many calories you are actually eating. Are you logging everything including drinks, condiments, butter, a bite of a cookie or brownie here and there? Do you weigh your food so that when you log a 4 oz hamburger, you know that is acutally how much you are eating? These small amounts of calories add up very quickly and you could be eating 300-500 more calories (or more) per day that you are not logging. I used to just eyeball my serving sizes and when I actually started weighing how much cerael I was eating I was shocked to find out I was acutally eating 3-4 servings instead of the 1 serving I was logging.

we do have a scale, and I weigh my meat when I can. If I'm out with friends and I eat something on the go, I try to log that as well. Usually I forget small amounts of sauces though. My diet should be available to the public? I'll go fix that, but for the past few weeks I've been logging by hand because I havent had internet.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options

Well you can do 1700 plus exercise calories, or TDEE-20%, but IMO 2600 is too high a TDEE for you, unless you burn 1000 calories in your workouts or something. Either way you should probably eat an average of 1900 daily, I'd think.
    As far as quality of food goes, does it /really/ make that huge of a difference? I can't afford large quantities of veggies and fruits every week (broke college kid) I try my hardest to make healthier decisions, but I cant help it if something like processed frozen chicken tenders end up in my diet (my mom buys most of the food)
  • Francl27
    Options

As far as quality of food goes, does it /really/ make that huge of a difference? I can't afford large quantities of veggies and fruits every week (broke college kid) I try my hardest to make healthier decisions, but I cant help it if something like processed frozen chicken tenders end up in my diet (my mom buys most of the food)

Well good nutrition is for health really. The main issue with eating a lot of processed food is that often they have a lot of calories and you can still be hungry after reaching your goal. I'd argue though that fresh chicken is probably cheaper than chicken tenders. I eat a lot of frozen veggies personally too, cheaper than fresh a lot of the time.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. Remember its a journey and not a destination. I am stuck also in weight but i see changes in measurements.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options

Well good nutrition is for health really. The main issue with eating a lot of processed food is that often they have a lot of calories and you can still be hungry after reaching your goal. I'd argue though that fresh chicken is probably cheaper than chicken tenders. I eat a lot of frozen veggies personally too, cheaper than fresh a lot of the time.

Thank you so much, you've been a great help. Hopefully I'll start losing again in a week. Im just going to try very hard to count more accurately
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    Deep breath. Remember its a journey and not a destination. I am stuck also in weight but i see changes in measurements.
    Well this journey hit a wall, lol. Just kidding :) thank you though, kind words help ^^ I'll get there eventually! Just gotta try!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 2100 plus exercise, you're eating too much. Your TDEE with exercise you stated as 2600, which sounds accurate, if not a bit low. So eat 2100 calories, don't eat back exercise calories, and lose an average of a pound a week. Simple.