Hill climber without using arms?

I really want to buy a hill climber machine for my home gym, but I have a long-standing shoulder issue and wouldn’t be able to use handlebars that require arm movement. Is there a machine that would allow me to keep my arms stationary? All the ones I’ve looked at seem to involve an upper body workout as well. In an ideal world, I would go for the stairmaster machine, but there’s no way I can stretch my budget that far (or the space in the gym).

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,282 Member
    Can you post a picture of it, or a link?

Hill climbers don't necessarily have to involve arms, usually the rails are more for safety (?)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,282 Member
    edited November 2022
    I don't know if you have some reason for a pure stair-climber? Personally I would opt for the elliptical type.

Like this one can be used with upper body, but it also just has hand-holds, and you could theoretically not even hold them, though that seems difficult... under $300
    https://www.amazon.com/Body-Power-Elliptical-Curve-Crank-Technology/dp/B07Y2CN21D/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=stair+climber&qid=1669639704&sr=8-9

Of course, there are some that only involve the feet, too. I'm sure you've seen them.

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    You might look for space-saving cardio equipment, sometimes called under-the-desk or portable. In this category equipment tends to have no upper portion but just the lower body portion.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,728 Member
    A regular treadmill that goes up to 15% would work. It had no upper body component, just bars that you can hold if you need to. It is best not to hold on though as that decreases the calories you burn.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    The best way to find machines that you like is to join a gym or YMCA and try a range of them. Your tastes may change over time and it's best to use more than just one. Also, enlist a PT to address your shoulder. There are just so many things you can do for exercise that buying a single machine rarely ends in success. Also, the gym-quality machines are usually several $k each, so it's hard to afford anything comparable.

"Hill climber" could mean a number of things: You can walk on a treadmill at an incline, you could use a "Stairmaster" (vertical foot motion), or you could use an elliptical (oval foot motion). It is common on all to grab the supports for balance, although with practice, you can omit that. Ellipticals commonly come with arm motion, but often have stationary supports as well. Good treadmills and "Stairmasters" have places where you can hold on (front and sides).

An Elliptical is the best overall machine for most people. For one thing, a good elliptical is cheaper than a good treadmill. It is also lower impact on the joints. My favorite brand is Precor, who invented the elliptical, but they aren't cheap!

The cheapest usable home exercise machine is a stationary bike. They are inherently easier to make than any of the above. When you "get out of the seat" you are working pretty much the same muscles as "climbing."