Sushi

Options
2»

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 6 pieces and use my sushi day for my free meal. I will admit to having 8 on occasion BUT--it is my free meal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Agreed - the weight increase is likely a combination of sodium and carb intake rom your dinner last night. Sushi's not really that bad, you just have to make the best choices. The only truly bad ones are those with tempura or sauces made with mayo or cream cheese.

Also, it looks like you didn't attempt to log it, but I wanted to let you know that some of the listings on here are confusing. They say 1 slice which you would think would be one of those bites but in most cases, a whole roll (5 or 6 bites) is a serving and they average around 300 calories, depending on ingredients and extras.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Just plan your day. If you know you're going to eat sushi (and a lot of it, because I would), I would prelog what I'm eating for the day and see what fits. In my mind there's no such thing as "eating too much" IF it fits into your plan. I can easily put away a couple of rolls and a meal at a Japanese restaurant, I simply watch what I'm eating throughout the day.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1) Ditto to what the others have suggested about sashimi
    2) Choose leaner varieties of fish (lean tuna, yellowtail, scallop, squid)
    3) Have hot tea and miso soup or clear mushroom soup with your meal
    4) Avoid rolls with the word "crispy" or "crunchy" in them, or ones that come with any kind of sauce (sauces will usually be either mayo-based or full of sugar)
    5) If you sit at the counter and order each piece from the sushi chef one by one, you'll really savor each piece and you'll give your stomach more time to digest and feel full, rather than ordering multiple rolls and stuffing them into your face. Plus it's just fun to chat with the sushi chef.

*random extra tip: if you put soy sauce on your sushi, put it on the FISH not on the rice. The rice absorbs too much soy sauce and then you have a sodium issue.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    We do sushi as a rare treat and just go nuts and enjoy ourselves.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates aren't bad for you.

The only carbohydrates that are bad for you are the ones found in pastries/high processed sugar items. It's just like fat, there's good fats and bad fats.

Carbohydrates are what help protein rebuild muscle tissue. If you're eating alot of protein and not much carbs, you're wasting protein.

I really wish people would stop "avoiding carbs" because they are necessary, and they're not bad for you at all.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but for many of us it's not a question of "good" and "Bad". We're just trying to fit in the necessary protein within our calories, which means we need to cut down on the carbs. Simple as that. Sushi has always been a killer for my macros, not because I think it's bad for me, but because it meant at the end of the day I'd have to choose between being over the calorie or under the protein target.

this.

I usually order only 4 types of rolls.
    California, yellowtail with scallion, flat tuna and spicy tuna (that's my 'dirty' roll)

Problem is- I order 2 of each- and yes- I can house all 24 with no issues... 48 is a little harder- I can usually eat it over ther course of a long meal- but for lunch I can't- that makes up 2 meals for me. regardless it's definitely not that I think 'carbs are bad'
    they aren't... it has more to do with I can't hit my macros and if you are cutting- carbs are not your friend.

But yeah- I definitely blow my food for the day typically with sushi- It's not that it's bad.. I don't eat a lot of fried/saucy filled rolls- but it's still a lot of calories without meeting my other goals.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic started in the 80s when Americans really started enjoying lots of sushi. Coincidence? I think not . . . :tongue: