How many calories get absorbed when you cook something and then drain it?

Options
2»

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    kimchidiet wrote: »
    Aside from being overkill, why drain milk from porridge? That's where most of the protein is.

I was cooking it in the milk and then draining the liquids (water, vegetable broth, as well as milk). When I go to drain the liquids it's hard to separate the milk from everything else. Next time I make porridge, I will add hot milk after everything has been drained and see if it affects the taste or not..

Hot a target at you, just my thoughts ;) How do people eat porridge with water - yuck. Porridge is made with milk and nothing else lol. Also never hear of using veg broth.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Aside from being overkill, why drain milk from porridge? That's where most of the protein is.

I was cooking it in the milk and then draining the liquids (water, vegetable broth, as well as milk). When I go to drain the liquids it's hard to separate the milk from everything else. Next time I make porridge, I will add hot milk after everything has been drained and see if it affects the taste or not..

Hot a target at you, just my thoughts ;) How do people eat porridge with water - yuck. Porridge is made with milk and nothing else lol. Also never hear of using veg broth.

Easily. I squirt a whole bunch of sugar free maple syrup on top :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »

I have a Ukrainian buddy that cook's oatmeal in water, then adds cottage cheese and sour cream and finishes it with some butter, salt and pepper. Actually it's very good, in a weird way lol. Cheers
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    and anyway OP isnt cooking oats- she is cooking lentils and barley

As she noted, 'porridge' wasnt quite what she meant - at least not as most of us understand it.

Pottage on the other hand is a thick soup, semi stew, made of vegetables

and copied and pasted The two terms are used to describe meals. Porridge, in its classical meaning, mainly refers to the original English oatmeal or other porridges made of grains. Pottage is widely used in Nigeria and many other African countries, mainly as a synonym to porridge. Both porridge and pottage in Nigeria mean the main dish

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Why would you throw out the raspberries? eat them