Consistency!

Options
2»

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Another one here for, "none of the above," at least the vast majority of the time. When I have prepped, I have absolutely counted macros, +/- 10g P & C, +/- 5g F.

But right now, just maintaining, I make sure to get my protein in and stay within my overall calorie goal.

I usually eat the exact same meal 2 or 3x in a week, because I'll do some of my meal prepping in batches & just divvy the portions into separate containers. Normally on the day I prep, I'll go ahead and log the meals into whatever day I'm planning on having them, and ditto any "routine" items (eg, protein shakes, my normal mid-morning work snacks, etc). I do the vast majority of grocery shopping & meal planning for my family, so if I am planning to cook XYZ tomorrow night, I'll go ahead and log it in advance as well. Then I just fill in the blanks as I go along.

That said, I've never had an actual "meal plan." Just not my way & entirely unnecessary, at least for me (I know some people find them very useful, but I'm not one of them).

About once every-other week or so, or for any sort of special occasion (most recent being husband's birthday), I'll go out and eat as much as I want of whatever I want, but I do track it. I don't consider it a "cheat" meal or whatever because...I mean...how would it be cheating, and who would it be cheating? If I have to put a label on it, I'd call it a "Planned Hedonic Deviation." And of course, when I've prepped for anything, the hedonic deviations are nixed, unless it's VERY carefully planned.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    None of the Above

This is not meant in any condescending way, it's just flat out honesty. The only 'Consistency' I adhear to is not stepping outside of what works for me, As some others have said, if I had to eat the same meals daily I would go insane and fail immediately. I realize it's necessary for some others' success, but I'm not them. I also acknowledge my way would lead to others' failure. That's why we all need to find what works for us individually. I also don't really do much macro watching, I'm a CICO girl. And when it comes to CICO, I prefer to average it weekly so if I get a serious craving for something that might not fall into a "normal" day's calorie allotment, I can just bank a little and then go and settle my craving knowing my numbers still average where they need to be. Some people may twist this as cheating based on what their notions of what a diet should be, but I don't. Rule number one. Find what works for you, it will never be what works for everyone else.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    ghrmj wrote: »
    I eat mostly the same things daily for breakfast and lunch. By that I mean I have 2-3 options that I alternate through and they are all counted out for protein, veggies, calories and fibre, so I know they fit within my plan and goals. Dinner changes up depending on the day. Because the rest of the day is pretty set I can be a little more flexible with my dinner.

Same - I'm pretty consistent with breakfast and lunch, and express creativity and get variety with dinner.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    All of the above 💪🏼
    Some of y’all need to practice more self control if you automatically give up in your minds with the, “I would lose my mind and go insane if I had to eat the same thing everyday!” Mentality.
    Seriously, how do you know? Have you tried it? There are billions of people who are impoverished in this world “eating the same meals everyday” and they’re probably more joyful than a vast majority of us.
    Come on, stop with this I quit before even trying mentality!
    Try something uncomfortable for once in your lives, that’s challenging, that way you can at least have some anecdotal opinions about it.
    “Oh ya, I tried that and it did not work!” Is a lot better than “nah I’ll lose my mind, without even trying it for a week”.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Some of y’all need to practice more self control if you automatically give up in your minds with the, “I would lose my mind and go insane if I had to eat the same thing everyday!” Mentality.
    Seriously, how do you know? Have you tried it? There are billions of people who are impoverished in this world “eating the same meals everyday” and they’re probably more joyful than a vast majority of us.
    Try something uncomfortable for once in your lives, that’s challenging, that way you can at least have some anecdotal opinions about it.
    “Oh ya, I tried that and it did not work!” Is a lot better than “nah I’ll lose my mind, without even trying it for a week”.

If consistency and results aren’t an issue, what’s the benefit of a mono diet? How exactly is it quitting, if there isn’t a problem to start solving in the first place?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options

And perhaps having tried it is precisely why some of us 'irregular/diverse eaters' know it isn't for us.

Aside from that, like others who have responded, I am successful using my strategy, I see no need to make myself more miserable for no good reason.
    I'd rather focus my mental energy on other 'uncomfortable' situations I have less possibility to avoid or find more worthwhile to pursue.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    xixgf1u697b6.jpg
    r3j7m4wmulqa.jpg
    I live in Italy and cook for 4 men everyday. Everyday I make pasta or risotto for lunch and a protein and vegetables for supper. My men go to the gym and are in great shape. The idea of eating the same thing everyday just makes me shudder. It's not for me or my Italian family. Italians (and other folks) like to eat good food. You do you--and leave the rest of us alone.

• jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eat the same meals daily
    I'm a Virgo, so consistency is the buzz-word for me, literally. If I put a pen on a particular spot, it has to be on that spot every day, otherwise a buzzing will start in my mind :)
    So, my major meals are similar everyday. If I order online, I order same dishes from same food joints. Only my snacks keep changing. It is a mix of consistency and routine.
    Also, I interchange the menu of breakfast, lunch and dinner as per my hunger pangs.
    All of us are different, so, it is natural that all of us eat in different ways, eat different food, and do things differently :)
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    Options
    All of the above 💪🏼
    @jyoti_0
    I’m a Leo, and it’s very easy for me to stay consistent regardless of what it is. I don’t quite think it has to do with your zodiac sign. You are greater than simply “ a virgo”.
    Anyways, maybe it’s easier for me to eat the same meals every day because of working in construction my whole life, usually working 5-6 days a week 10 hours a day. Where I’m at a point of not having to over think “what am I taking for food today?!?”
    Eating the same meals everyday, allows me to stay on point with my calories and macro ratios. And yes, of course there are days where I may eat a meal or two slightly different to what’s planned; however, at the end of the day, food for me is simply energy for my body to accomplish my greater purpose .
    Anyways, thanks for all the responses everybody! Keep ‘em coming!
    Ps, I deal with grown *kitten* men and women who give each other a hard time every day so don’t be afraid to say what’s really on your mind 😉
  • jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eat the same meals daily
    @jyoti_0
    I’m a Leo, and it’s very easy for me to stay consistent regardless of what it is. I don’t quite think it has to do with your zodiac sign. You are greater than simply “ a virgo”.
    Anyways, maybe it’s easier for me to eat the same meals every day because of working in construction my whole life, usually working 5-6 days a week 10 hours a day. Where I’m at a point of not having to over think “what am I taking for food today?!?”
    Eating the same meals everyday, allows me to stay on point with my calories and macro ratios. And yes, of course there are days where I may eat a meal or two slightly different to what’s planned; however, at the end of the day, food for me is simply energy for my body to accomplish my greater purpose .
    Anyways, thanks for all the responses everybody! Keep ‘em coming!
    Ps, I deal with grown *kitten* men and women who give each other a hard time every day so don’t be afraid to say what’s really on your mind 😉

" You are greater than simply “ a virgo”."- completely agree!
    "don’t be afraid to say what’s really on your mind"- that's what I did, just poked fun on all of us :)
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    Options
    All of the above 💪🏼
    @nossmf
    Who’s the victim? Ain’t nothing but champs over here baby! 😎
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    One size does not fit all.

I'm team whatever doesn't seem like torture.

For some, it's a lot of variety. For some, it's no variety whatsoever. For some it's a mixture! :)

For some, it's "eating clean". For some, it's twinkies and ding dongs. For some, it's a mixture! :)

For some, it's high/low fat/protein/carbs/sugar/alcohol (take your pick or mix it up! :))

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    None of the above.

Shopping properly (shopping for my eating plan) is the best way for me to stay on point. Having a plan when I get to the store, and having those foods in my house.

I'm trying a meal planning desktop app to see if it makes it easier to try other/new things and add more variety without all the stress of trying to create shopping lists - first impressions it may be the missing link I was needing.

I can't stand eating the same thing every day, and I also do not do well feeling hungry...trial and error has taught me that I do best on a lower carb diet (not keto or no carb, but avoiding carb based foods - rice, potatoes, baked anything, sugary foods - pretty much does the job). I feel satiated and full after a meal and I lose weight relatively easily.

Issue is it is not a "cheap" way to eat, so if money is a major concern, I can't afford to eat that way very well. The last time I stuck to one the lack of variety got to me after a while when I started to get tired of the same types of meals with slightly different flavors - but the app may be changing that, even this first week alone I've tried some new recipes that fit the bill as far as macros but are delicious changes from my usual!