Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

THE BIG 3!!

Options
I_AM_ISRAEL
I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
Do you NEED, the big 3 to build a great physique??
Bench?
Squat?
Deadlift?

If yes or no, why?!? GO! 🥊

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    No. Good bang for the buck for sure but a definition for what a great physique is, would help.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    Options
    Definition of a “great physique” from a purely aesthetics stand point.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I get the feeling you believe an individual with more muscle mass would qualify moreso than a person with less, but I may be wrong. A very lean individual that shows good definition with lower body fat would/could qualify as having a great physique, right? Basically it depends on what a person feels a "great physique" is. As far as which exercises might be best to utilize well for me it's the squat, deadlift, overhead press, pullups, rows and bench press which are my go to ones and I do a few calisthenics routines a week at home, but generally a least an hour a day 6 days a week and hockey. Short answer.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I also meant to say that a person could get a great physique with just doing calisthenics.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    Options
    @neanderthin no, I am not saying that an individual with “less muscle” would t qualify.
    A “great physique”, basically what many aspire to have, muscle development with definition. And yes, this usually includes the ability to see one’s abs.

I completely agree about achieving a great physique (appearance wise) with calisthenics. In fact, especially since it falls among the mines of more “functional” strength.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't deadlift and flat barbell bench press. And have an exceptional physique for my age and even versus many half my age. Volume training with exercises that hit all the major body parts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...but also "great physique" is pretty subjective and personal preference. I had a pretty good physique in high school when I was a track and field sprinter...albeit I was a bit on the skinny side. I had the best physique I've ever had when I was in the Marine Corps and never set foot in a weight room...all calisthenics. When I was a teen I tried my hand at gymnastics for a couple of years but was too lanky...but my coach was an Olympian and there were other Olympians and advanced gymnasts at my gym who had awesome physiques and never set foot in the weight room.

The big three (or variations of them) probably offer the biggest bang in terms of time efficiency though.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve got a great physique, but I’m in reasonable shape for my age, and I don’t bench or really deadlift. But I do clean which I guess is part deadlift. Can’t stand benching and I’m crap at it.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve got a great physique, .

I beg to differ! ;)

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve got a great physique, .

I beg to differ! ;)

Ahhh shucks! Thank you so much - I just really want your quads! 🤣

• I_AM_ISRAEL
    Options
    @nossaf
    That’s a great idea! Testing the “big 3” quarterly after doing various of other exercises targeting many of the assistant muscle groups.
    Cant wait to see where I’ll be, haven’t done any of the 3 in about 3 months now!