Sugars, muscle and weight loss

Options
Hi .... I am 5ft 6in female in my mid forties. Like most women in my family, I have struggled with my weight since puberty. Though I have always looked to health ahead of a number on the scale.... or at least that what I tell myself since I feel healthier and my blood sugars, cholesterol and blood pressure show healthier than my weight at 235lbs would say. ie blood pressure as of last week was 122/82 at the docs office. (I loose weight very slowing even when really focused.)

Regardless, I am just back at the gym working out approx. 30-45 minutes of cardio and 15 to 30 minutes of weights - 4 times a week - with happy thoughts of a beach holiday coming up. As usual, I have gained 3lbs in two weeks -which I know is muscle but I still am feeling and looking 'bulkier" than I did two weeks ago. I have always built large muscle quick. People actually ask if I have lost weight and tell me I look good when I DON'T exercise - Grrrr. And thus, I have two questions....

1) Is there anything I could do better to create lean muscle? Should I stop weight lifting completely? Do lighter weights and more reps? Should I eat less protein? Help!! I believe weights are a good thing overall for a mid-40 female but I hate this bulky feeling and look.

and

2) since being back on MFP, I have noticed they added SUGARS and as a result, I've noticed that I seem to always be over my SUGARs significantly despite the fact I don't eat candy, drink pop, have sugar in my coffee etc. I do eat fruit though but it doesn't seem to take much of fruit to be over. Is being over in SUGARS a big issue? Is there good sugars and bad sugars like good/bad fats? is this something that could be hindering my weight loss significantly? Any ideas you have would be very welcomed!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi, most people are going to request that you make your food diary public.

You don't mention how many calories you're eating, which is kind of the most important thing.

If you're eating at a caloric deficit, you are not gaining muscle, sorry. If you feel bulky it's either water retention from your muscles repairing themselves from the work out, hormones, or your imagination.

Sugar from fruit is fine, it's a complex carb and isn't going to hurt you. People generally stay away from refined sugars because they cause a blood sugar spike and crash, which can increase hunger and cravings. Things with refined sugar are generally high in calories and low in nutrition.

What you eat isn't going to matter as far as weight loss goes, you just need a caloric deficit to lose weight.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The day I took sugar out of my diet as well as the processed foods that have so much sugar in them, and starting eating healthy and then walking every day the pounds are slipping away.

By the way I won't go near artificial sweetners , just too many complications and health issues but I do eat fresh fruit 3 times daily.

I feel better and have more energy and go greater distances.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi .... I am 5ft 6in female in my mid forties. Like most women in my family, I have struggled with my weight since puberty. Though I have always looked to health ahead of a number on the scale.... or at least that what I tell myself since I feel healthier and my blood sugars, cholesterol and blood pressure show healthier than my weight at 235lbs would say. ie blood pressure as of last week was 122/82 at the docs office. (I loose weight very slowing even when really focused.)

Regardless, I am just back at the gym working out approx. 30-45 minutes of cardio and 15 to 30 minutes of weights - 4 times a week - with happy thoughts of a beach holiday coming up. As usual, I have gained 3lbs in two weeks -which I know is muscle but I still am feeling and looking 'bulkier" than I did two weeks ago. I have always built large muscle quick. People actually ask if I have lost weight and tell me I look good when I DON'T exercise - Grrrr. And thus, I have two questions....

1) Is there anything I could do better to create lean muscle? Should I stop weight lifting completely? Do lighter weights and more reps? Should I eat less protein? Help!! I believe weights are a good thing overall for a mid-40 female but I hate this bulky feeling and look.

and

2) since being back on MFP, I have noticed they added SUGARS and as a result, I've noticed that I seem to always be over my SUGARs significantly despite the fact I don't eat candy, drink pop, have sugar in my coffee etc. I do eat fruit though but it doesn't seem to take much of fruit to be over. Is being over in SUGARS a big issue? Is there good sugars and bad sugars like good/bad fats? is this something that could be hindering my weight loss significantly? Any ideas you have would be very welcomed!

We are the same height and age. I would ignore the sugar settings - they are arbitrary and really only relate to 'added' sugar anyway (i.e. discretionary sugars, not those naturally occurring in foods). Focus on your macros (protein, fats and carbs - sugar is just a subset of carbs).

What is your weigh lifting routine? I ask as it is highly unlikely you have gained muscle. However, when you start lifting you do retain water in the muscles which can make them a little bigger. However, if you continue to lose fat, this will more than compensate for that.

What is your current intake? What are your average macros in grams? Do you weigh your food and log everything accurately?