New tattoo care - any experts?

Options
AlwaysWanderer
AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
Ok, so I realise this is not fitness related, but I thought I'll ask anyway.
I got my first tattoo yesterday, and I know you're not supposed to soak it until it heals.
But I really want to have a bath...
Can I put like a waterproof plaster or cling film on it to stop getting it wet and still have it? It's on my lower back so can't keep it out of the water.
Thanks for any insight!

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    It's best to take a shower, as bathtubs harbor bacteria.

Wash it very gently with mild soap.
    Pat dry.
    Slather it up with a quality lotion (look for a lotion that has either no alcohol or alcohol far down on the ingredient list).
    Lotion it up numerous times a day.
    Whatever you do, do NOT pick at it! After about a week it will begin to itch and peel. Do NOT pick it! Keep lotioning it up.
    Avoid direct sunlight.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's best to take a shower, as bathtubs harbor bacteria.

Wash it very gently with mild soap.
    Pat dry.
    Slather it up with a quality lotion (look for a lotion that has either no alcohol or alcohol far down on the ingredient list).
    Lotion it up numerous times a day.
    Whatever you do, do NOT pick at it! After about a week it will begin to itch and peel. Do NOT pick it! Keep lotioning it up.
    Avoid direct sunlight.
    Exactly this.
  • Lovesthings
    Lovesthings Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you know you're not supposed to soak it.... don't. You can wait a couple weeks to enjoy a tub
    . Believe me... you don't want to ruin your new art!!
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    No baths!! That's like a recipe for infection. Shower and pat drys. You don't want to ruin your new art, look forward to the bath once you heal. It'll be worth it my dear!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No baths!! That's like a recipe for infection. Shower and pat drys. You don't want to ruin your new art, look forward to the bath once you heal. It'll be worth it my dear!

Exactly what Sophie said... I will also add no perfumed soaps. Use the orange dial antibacterial.. Wait at least 15 minutes after showering and pat drying to apply aquaphor... NO BATHS, SAUNAS, HOT TUBS for at least 2 weeks. It will be after it peels and the "milky new skin" heals before you soak it. Each of my sessions healed in different times. Between 2-3 weeks.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You have just pid a lot of money and went through a lot of pain for it and you can't wait for it to heal before taking a bath? Tattoos are not for you.

Please wait. Infection is nasty.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My artists told me to use A&D ointment. Yep. Diaper rash ointment!!! No baths. Dab towel on tat to dry it. Don't pick at it.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My artists told me to use A&D ointment. Yep. Diaper rash ointment!!! No baths. Dab towel on tat to dry it. Don't pick at it.

That's what i used for all seven of mine.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    And if it starts to itch.........smack it!
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    I'd highly suggest against a bath for about 2 weeks. Do you want to risk the colour not being as vibrant, or any unevenness to the ink? Potential for infection? If you're OK with those possibilities than bathe away. If not, shower it up.
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm married to a tattoo artist, and have quite a few myself.

I know you'd love a bath, but wait two weeks for the tattoo to heal. You don't want to suffocate it by cutting off the oxygen it needs to heal.

To heal faster, use a non-scented dye free lotion on the tattoo whenever it feels tight (just a thin layer.)

Good luck!
  • wibblefps
    Options
    The last tattoo I had, I applied tegaderm which looks like cling film. Normally used to heal cuts and abrasions because it stops any scabbing or scarring and the bonus is it's completely water proof and stops itching completely. Can get it from the pharmacy.

One of the perks of three medical practitioners in the family, you learn some nifty tricks like that. Good for me because I prefer baths to showers.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A&d for a week or so...then change to lubriderm intensive skin repair

wash with regular antibacterial soap no scents/perfumes with your hand only, no wash clothes or sponge etc and dab dry...........then apply the above 15mins later.