How to get out of a rut?

AussieKT96
AussieKT96 Posts: 10 Member
edited December 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Over the past two years I have gained over 18kgs after years of yo-yo dieting and restricting. This time i am wanting to lose the weight in a healthier way but stuck in a rut. What is a good way to get motivated again?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,725 Member
    Motivation is not really the issue.

You need a deeper motivation, true, so take a moment to think about why you want to lose weight: e.g. more self confidence, looking better naked, ensuring a healthy future for yourself, being around to take care of your children, etc.

But motivation in the sense of 'being in the right mood' is a poor basis for weight loss. Think of brushing your teeth, showering,... These are things that need to be done, whether you're in the mood for them or not. Watching what I eat and ensuring I exercise are just things that have to be part of my life, no matter what my mood.

But the trick is to not make it harder on yourself than necessary:
    - make small gradual changes instead of overhauling your life in one go
    - don't ban your favorite foods, find a way to eat that makes you happy at the appropriate calorie level
    - don't make yourself do exercise you don't enjoy, find something you like or at the very least don't actively dislike

Sometimes it's just mind over matter, certainly for the first few steps. But once you get the ball rolling, you can just build on those first small changes.

A first step could be:
    - logging your food intake as it is, to see where you could make improvements
    - aiming to go for a walk each day.
    Just some examples, it should be something that is a small step in the right direction, a slight challenge.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I agree that motivation is fleeting. It's better to make good habits.

As for starting off, something just seems to click and you take off. It's important to get your daily calorie goal and a digital food scale. Start weighing and measuring all food and drink. Try and stay within your goal everyday. Take your measurements and keep a weekly journal. It's nice to pull it out when you hit a stall and are a bit discouraged. When you can see those inches lost on a tape measure it seems real. Also, read the success threads to pull you up when you need it.

Be consistent and patient and you will see results. Best of luck.