Hypothyroidism anyone ? Also prediabetes.

Options
Trying to get my health in check and I would like to lose 15 -20lbs along the way! Add me if you would like to support me along the way and I can support u too!

Replies

• Juliette123123
    Juliette123123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pre-diabetic, and other things. 62. Making the next 30 years grand. Much to get ride of including fat.
  • patentmonkey
    patentmonkey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, good luck on your goals.

My A1C just moved over the line from pre-diabetes to diabetes so I joined MFP in September to lose weight and improve my numbers. So far I lost 20 lbs from 270 to 250 and I am determined to improve my numbers and avoid medication. I’m 59 yo male and am determined to get down to 200 like in my 20’s. MFP has really helped me.

I know it’s very difficult so if anyone wants encouragement send a note. Keep positive all and don’t let any setbacks deter you!

Cheers!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Although I'm kind of a crummy MFP friend, I just wanted to stop by your thread and wish you much success . . . and to say that hypothyroidism, in particular, is not doom to weight loss with calorie counting. IME, it absolutely can work. I'm severely hypothyroid (properly medicated), and lost weight around 7 years ago using MFP (class 1 obese to healthy weight) and have been at a healthy weight since. It can work.

Some of us who are hypothyroid - especially if in the phase where medication dosage isn't dialed in yet - may find that we need to eat slightly fewer calories than other people, in order to achieve the same weight loss rate. If that turns out to be true, starting from the standard calorie goal, tracking for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles if relevant), then adjusting based on results: That will tell the story, pave a path to success.

There's a really good thread here about hypothyroidism and weight management, written by a guy who's a scientist in the field, himself hypothyroid (IIRC, thyroid surgically removed), who lost weight calorie counting. Unlike a lot of clickbait/marketing nonsense on the web, it's very science based. You can find it here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I can't speak to prediabetes, because that wasn't part of the picture for me. But what I do know is that others who've been prediabetic, even diabetic, have reported success here in weight loss, and in objective measures like HbA1c test results.

I'm cheering for you!