glassyo Posts: 7,608 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    would hate to see anyone believe there's only one possible way to succeed. Belief in a method is important, or we won't even start. However, if a method fails for someone, I want them to have room to believe that the method failed for them, not that they failed or are a failure personally. Anyone can learn from their experience, and try something else

The above is why words matter and why differentiating between cause and effect (or method and results) is important.

If it wasn't for MFP forum posts clearly spelling out that in the end effective caloric balance management is what changes one's weight level, I would still be obese wondering why this or that diet isn't working for me

And this is from a person who actually used the little paper calorie books in his youth... and still managed to mislay the message.

IF works for you 👍

And if IF ever stops doing so for you look for alternative methods to control your caloric balance instead of concluding that it is your fault things are no longer working.

It is just a method. Great one if (and while) it suits you. As with many methods it has some good points and some bad.

Mostly good if you're obese and it is helping you lose weight at an appropriate pace.

It's not the only method by a long shot. And it is discouraging for people who "fail" for them to end up believing that if they fail to lose while doing IF (or keto, or rubbing their head and tummy in opposite directions) that they are doomed to failure because a particular tummy rub method is the "best", or only, method to create the caloric deficit that is necessary to lose weight!😘

and actually to correct myself to create the caloric management conditions that are necessary to manage weight
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    I really "get" why some people were offended. Losing weight and dieting by any means is difficult and here was someone shouting that she'd found THE way. I was like a new Christian convert trying to convert everyone to her way of believing.

Truth is, I'd heard about IF years ago but thought it was impossible for me to do. I watched a video where a man was saying he ate only once a day and had lost a lot of weight. I thought, "Of course, you did. You starved yourself. I could lose weight too if I only ate once a day... but that's impossible."

Once I did some research and learned about the health benefits, I decided to give it a try. I'm retired. don't have a family to cook for and am under no stress. So, this is doable for me. I also incorporate an unprocessed food diet, exercise and make sure I get plenty of sleep. I use every tool in the box.

Interestingly enough, I've hit a plateau and have started counting calories although I lost 60 pounds without counting any over 18 months. I sense my appetite is coming back and I'm determined to fight it and go on to lose my remaining 40 pounds.

Hang in there, you can get through this! IME, weight management is a series of self-analysis and problem-solving opportunities, experiments and tweaks of habits. If you stick with it, you can keep making progress, either because a phase will pass, or because you find some new twist in methods/tactics that helps. Wishing you continued success!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's good to see you using other tools too!

Increasing the amount of (let's not call them unprocessed because of definition issues, let's call them) non hyper-palatable foods in your diet is probably a good move and it has research support too!

Increased satiation levels seem to increase the likelihood one can reduce the total amount of calories they're taking in.

As to plateau's, smaller effective deficits do not always show up instantly on scale results. Yet, they can still create substantial results over time. The game is won by long term compliance. And weight trend apps can be used to better show off the underlying weight trend

I actually lost more weight (and more easily) by aiming for an accurately counted smaller deficit that I did achieve with a fair degree of consistency as opposed to just aiming to eat as little as I could... which always backfired.

Since you brought to mind some of Kevin Hall's research which was funded by them... I seem to remember... yes, they do have a "collection" of references maybe not for you, but for people starting up... https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management

The food and agricultural organisation of the UN have a fun page full of dietary guidelines from all over the world... some more useful than others, of course! (guidelines tend to bury some of the reasons for their recommendation. Some of the recommendations are of more relevance to people who do not log their intake and are not consciously controlling their food intake--certainly not the case for many of us on MFP :wink: https://www.fao.org/nutrition/nutrition-education/food-dietary-guidelines/en/
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    guidelines tend to bury some of the reasons for their recommendation.
    I am a big advocate of clearly laid out reasoning. In my opinion, the reasoning is at least as important as, and arguably more important than, the actual guidelines. Unfortunately, that seems to be a minority standpoint. Yet, reality out there shows that people are being misled by "atributed reasoning" instead of the actual reasoning underlying the guidelines. I see the myth of "CICO is wrong" as one of the saddest consequences of that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    I am a big advocate of clearly laid out reasoning. In my opinion, the reasoning is at least as important as, and arguably more important than, the actual guidelines. Unfortunately, that seems to be a minority standpoint. Yet, reality out there shows that people are being misled by "atributed reasoning" instead of the actual reasoning underlying the guidelines. I see the myth of "CICO is wrong" as one of the saddest consequences of that.

Along these lines, when people started posting about "Bright Line Eating" I got the book from the library. I had no quibbles with any of the science the Susan Peirce Thompson quoted, but I sure disagreed with her conclusions. It's been a while, but I think she was being absolutist and saying the only way to lose weight was to follow her Bright Lines, which are:
    1. no eating sugar (including all sweeteners besides fruit)
    2. no eating flour (including alternative flours or processed grains)
    3. only eat during mealtimes without anything in between
    4. weigh and measure quantities of food according to a very specific food plan
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Along these lines, when people started posting about "Bright Line Eating" I got the book from the library. I had no quibbles with any of the science the Susan Peirce Thompson quoted, but I sure disagreed with her conclusions. It's been a while, but I think she was being absolutist and saying the only way to lose weight was to follow her Bright Lines, which are:
    1. no eating sugar (including all sweeteners besides fruit)
    2. no eating flour (including alternative flours or processed grains)
    3. only eat during mealtimes without anything in between
    4. weigh and measure quantities of food according to a very specific food plan
    I completely agree with you. If those are her conclusions, you can legitimately ask questions about her reasoning capabilities.