How do i setup my diet as a person that is new to body recomposition?

2»

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,129 Member
    edited April 2023
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Many that say recomp worked for them actually lost fat and that loss was responsible for the existing muscle mass to become more visible.

The saying “ the best way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs of fat” is valid in many cases.

In the spring of 2013 I hit my maintenance weight of 183. I continued to just go to the gym and lift and do my other fitness stuff and ate well for the sake of my overall health and well being and overall fitness. I wasn't trying to put on a bunch of mass (and I didn't) or anything like that, but in 2017, four years later I looked very aesthetically different at the same weight of 183. I was leaner and had much more definition all around and looked far more athletic than I did at 183 in 2013.

I would agree that recomp (getting in shape) isn't going to put on slabs of muscle...but that's not even the point of recomp.
    it sounds like you were in a position to make that happen.

Someone that is 20 plus pounds overweight will have a very difficult time losing that much fat and gaining that much muscle to remain the same weight in a reasonable amount of time, reasonable being relative. The more fat someone carries, the harder to remain the same weight when adding muscle.

Those guys with high bodyfat are better off concentrating on leaning out a bit first. Much will depend on the timeframe desired to reach a goal.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Many that say recomp worked for them actually lost fat and that loss was responsible for the existing muscle mass to become more visible.

The saying “ the best way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs of fat” is valid in many cases.

In the spring of 2013 I hit my maintenance weight of 183. I continued to just go to the gym and lift and do my other fitness stuff and ate well for the sake of my overall health and well being and overall fitness. I wasn't trying to put on a bunch of mass (and I didn't) or anything like that, but in 2017, four years later I looked very aesthetically different at the same weight of 183. I was leaner and had much more definition all around and looked far more athletic than I did at 183 in 2013.

I would agree that recomp (getting in shape) isn't going to put on slabs of muscle...but that's not even the point of recomp.

Someone that is 20 plus pounds overweight will have a very difficult time losing that much fat and gaining that much muscle to remain the same weight in a reasonable amount of time, reasonable being relative. The more fat someone carries, the harder to remain the same weight when adding muscle.

Those guys with high bodyfat are better off concentrating on leaning out a bit first. Much will depend on the timeframe desired to reach a goal.

Definitely agree on that. I spent about 7 months or so going from 220 to 183 with dieting and I lifted and did my cardio. When I hit goal I didn't think about "recomp" really...I was just at a happy weight and continued to lift, eat well, and do my cardio...it was something that just happened. I was somewhere right around 15% BF when I hit 183. I figure in those four years I might have lost maybe a pound or two of fat and put on a pound or two of muscle, so aesthetically I looked quite different, but I didn't put on a bunch of mass or anything. Mostly I looked much more athletic...and was quite pleased with a glimmer of a 6 pack in the right light.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,129 Member

Definitely agree on that. I spent about 7 months or so going from 220 to 183 with dieting and I lifted and did my cardio. When I hit goal I didn't think about "recomp" really...I was just at a happy weight and continued to lift, eat well, and do my cardio...it was something that just happened. I was somewhere right around 15% BF when I hit 183. I figure in those four years I might have lost maybe a pound or two of fat and put on a pound or two of muscle, so aesthetically I looked quite different, but I didn't put on a bunch of mass or anything. Mostly I looked much more athletic...and was quite pleased with a glimmer of a 6 pack in the right light.
    nice……