How your Kale habit is slowly destroying your health

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You have links and quotes and references to science and long words and everything! Must be legit.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    vegetables are what food eats.

the end.

Trust me, you don't want to try and take a bite out of me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options

the end.

au contraire
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You guys should probably read the article up to the part that says "Just Kidding".

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/just-kale-me-how-your-kale-habit-slowly-destroying-your-health-and-world
    Just Kidding

I was going to put this part up the next day, but the reaction I got from the post was so extreme that I almost immediately felt guilty. People sent me emails asking advice about other vegetables that might be bad. Some of the comments were hilarious, some just made me feel bad

But when you see an article that demonizes a food, think about whether or not there are citations and follow those citations. Ask yourself whether they apply to human beings eating a diverse diet with adequete calories. Or whether they involve very high concentrations no human being eats, isolated chemicals, or preparations that no normal human would put on their plate. I see narratives like this, not as satire, in many diet books and on a lot of diet blogs. I have been guilty of this in the past, when I took a lot of stuff seriously that I no longer worry about. Like phytic acid in foods– most of the studies that show this is a problem involve populations of people who are malnourished. I suppose some people get to that point while dieting though.

As far as the cornmeal pancakes with blood sausage and sauteed kale, I think that's what I'm going to have for breakfast today.

Dammit! I didn't read it... cuz I was already prepared to not believe it. I feel the same way; basically any time I see "new" evidence that such and such is bad for you, I think, WHAT ISN'T> Besides...I just TRUSTED you guys. lol That'll teach me. ;)
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    KALE CHIPS HOT AND SPICY FLAVORED FOR DAYZZZ
  • ElmiMN
    Options
    Ahaha! I was about to text all my kale lovers. This made my day :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

the end.

au contraire

bien sur.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    What you don't know could kale you = my new standard response to ridiculous alarmism threads
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

the end.

au contraire

bien sur.

Bien cuit.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Over did it on the Kale again...
    DrBE7Mw.gif
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I find that beer is a great replacement for almost any vegetable on the planet. It can also supplant protein requirements during Mardi Gras. Macros people! It's all simple math.

Beer is a natural product!
    Water, Hops, Malt, Yeast.

Completely natural!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

the end.

au contraire

bien sur.

Bien cuit.

Bleu cheese.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

the end.

au contraire

bien sur.

Bien cuit.

Bleu cheese.

Better than kale any day.

30diners_roquefort_zpse8b8d81a.jpg
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When he got to the part where he said broccoli was dangerous, i thought that article is just some nutter food fanatic that always seems to find their way on the internet.

but then i was relieved to find since i dont enjoy kale, whew good thing.

but back to reality - guess i have to find a way to love kale HAHA!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Y'all really need to approach outrageous claims more skeptically.

Give people some credit. It's called "play."
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Woooshh

Also: approach outrageous food shaming with skeptism? On MFP, the home of 'sugar is poison?' Nonesense.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the love affair with kale. I have a friend who tried it and hated it. I pointed out that while it has good nutrients, it doesn't have anything she can't get from foods she actually likes, so if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to eat it.

She's still trying to figure out a way to make it so she likes it.

*sigh*
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    When he got to the part where he said broccoli was dangerous, i thought that article is just some nutter food fanatic that always seems to find their way on the internet.

but then i was relieved to find since i dont enjoy kale, whew good thing.

but back to reality - guess i have to find a way to love kale HAHA!!

I'm also glad I read the bit about him just kidding.... until then I was like *facepalm* these people are going to have no food left to eat at all at this rate!!!

ETA: I'm guessing that this article is going to get reblogged without the kidding bit, or someone's going to read just half of it, copy the "facts" and make their own blog post warning everyone about how kale's going to kale you, and there'll be a whole bunch of kale haters on the internet before too long.....