How do you celebrate?

Options
I am getting close to my first goal. It was only to lose 20 pounds, and there are MANY more goals left to do, but I feel like I should invest in a small reward. Clothes and food would both be pretty counterproductive. Maybe investing in a food scale?

What do you guys do? I'm curious!

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i never once considered celebrating a 20 pound loss. ill celebrate when i hit my goal.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Food scale is a great idea and I also like nail polish (its inexpensive and my nails are so much more healthy now)

Well done on getting up close and personal with your first goal WTG :smile:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    i never once considered celebrating a 20 pound loss. ill celebrate when i hit my goal.

^I did the same. Seriously, get the food scale. That was the best $25 I ever spent for tracking my food accurately.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    pig out, drink up, & go out and pull a rando
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale daily. Today I rewarded running a half marathon with a rather large lunch. And also beer. Because beer is good.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I am about to hit 30 lbs lost and will be treating myself to new lingerie! :wink:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your approaching milestone!! :flowerforyou:
    A food scale is an awesome idea. A Fitbit may be another good one, if walking and/or running is a significant part of your program. Really, anything that supports your effort for the stage you're in now -- I think it would give you a nice boost every time you use it, because it's a marker of your success.

To "celebrate" my own milestones, I usually just stood and stared in the mirror an inordinately long time. :blushing:
    Buying stuff, I've done when I had both the money and the need or desire. The two don't always intersect. My best spends have been a Fitbit, a food scale, an iPod to use the apps, a pair of Bluetooth headphones, a really good sports bra, a bench and rack, and weights. Clothes (except underwear) haven't been very good spends, because they don't fit for very long... for me, it's been better to raid the boxes of old "too small" clothes I never got around to giving away years ago. I've about reached the end of those now, so a visit to a tailor with some of my favorites will probably be my next spend a few months from now.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I celebrate by weighing less and being more able to do things.

To me, losing the weight is its own reward.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I never understood the whole rewarding myself thing. The loss itself is my reward, hitting a PB is my reward, lifting more today than I did yesterday is my reward. Everyday that I succeed I am rewarded, but hey if that's how you roll get the scale.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Buy a gym membership.

Worked for me!

Good luck!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well I'm so close to 50 lb and I started doing Insanity, so I went ahead and got my 50 lb goal gift to myself - a heart rate monitor.
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    Well, I have lost about 50 pounds, I haven't really celebrated or rewarded myself. But I guess it depends on what you do or don't want to do, and how you can do it.
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    I actually was going to add to the original post that if you do not celebrate, why not? because I KNEW that would be most of the responses. Because I tend to feel that way too.

I know some people don't need anything other than the knowledge of knowing they are making a good decision by getting in shape, but I personally want to invest in something that will help me along the way. I already need to buy a few things that I have been planning on investing in, and this is a way to kill two birds with one stone!

Gym membership would be a good idea if I didn't already have one!

I've heard that a FitBit is like a super advanced pedometer- I may get at some point out of curiosity, but i do not know much about them. I have a heart rate monitor, too. So maybe the FitBit would be better for walks?

Thanks for all the input either way!
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    After great accomplishments I treat myself to a 5 dollar hooker, instead of the usual 2 dollar ones.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Rachel, celebrating your milestones is IMO a good thing and why not, for sure!

If you are turning your life around. be proud, set yourself mini goals.

Achievement is something to be celebrated.

If it means a FitBit or weighing scale you encourage yourself with whatever is your achievement treat and keep on working to get to your ultimate goal.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate. But then, I don't really see the point of most of the celebratory things people do in all aspects of life. I'm not into holidays or birthdays or anything. It's never occurred to me to celebrate a weight-los event. I'm losing weight. When I'm done, I'll stop. If there's something I need in the meantime, like a food scale or heart rate monitor, I'll get it when the idea comes to me. I'm just a day-to-day sort of person, not a work-celebrate-work-celebrate sort of person. I like things steady.
  • twinketta
    Options
    After great accomplishments I treat myself to a 5 dollar hooker, instead of the usual 2 dollar ones.

Just a shame the $5 hooker gets you...what does he/she get in return :tongue:
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 pounds and rewarded myself with a pedicure :)
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Just a shame the $5 hooker gets you...what does he/she get in return :tongue:

She gets a good beating...
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I actually was going to add to the original post that if you do not celebrate, why not? because I KNEW that would be most of the responses. Because I tend to feel that way too.
    Just not my thing. I'm not much for "treats" or "rewards." Wearing my nice old clothes makes me happy. Having energy and feeling good makes me happy. Being able to do more things than I could last week, month, year makes me happy. Seeing old friends stare when they haven't seen me for a while makes me kinda happy too. So I don't feel a need for a "special" marker. But if you want to do it, go for it. Enjoy yourself and mark the occasion with something you'll use every day, a constant reminder that you did that and you are a success. Nothing wrong with that at all!!
    I know some people don't need anything other than the knowledge of knowing they are making a good decision by getting in shape, but I personally want to invest in something that will help me along the way. I already need to buy a few things that I have been planning on investing in, and this is a way to kill two birds with one stone!
    See, for me, I just saw things I thought would help me, made note of them, saved up, and bought them when I had the money. They're tools. I'm happy I have them. I never thought of them as "rewards," but you can if you want to. Whatever works for you, do it. :smile:
    I've heard that a FitBit is like a super advanced pedometer- I may get at some point out of curiosity, but i do not know much about them. I have a heart rate monitor, too. So maybe the FitBit would be better for walks?
    I have both. The Fitbit is very, very useful to me. The HRM is useful too, but the Fitbit is more so because walking is such a big part of my everyday life and I'm just starting to run. I do a lot of walking and climb a lot of stairs, and I like not having to do any manual exercise logging to count, say, a daily 2- or 3-mile walk to and from my car at work. Might or might not be as useful for you. If you have a good thing going with your HRM but are working to get a handle on your calorie counting, the food scale may be bigger bang for your buck.