REFUSING TO QUIT EVEN IN PAIN?

Options
Today I walked my frst 5k. My goal was to walk it within an hour or under. I have walked the distance many times in the last few weeks and I felt ready. The problem with me is I have leg and ankle issues from injury, arthritis and a gait issue. Still I have been walking every day and preparing with therapy massage in a medical setting.

Today I took off at a good pace for me and soon after I passed my 2nd mile mark one of knee's tightened up and got painful. I had to stop and work it out with massage, then get going and have to stop again to massage it out.. My 5k partener and therapist was advising me to quit, but I refused. So I had to walk slower and I finished the 5k at 68 minutes. There were about 6-7 others behind me that's it or all I seen. This 5k was only about 100 people. Not sure how many would finish at that time in a big 5k.

I really want do some more 5k''s. I like the idea of having this goal of a 5k and being with other active people. I am unaware of any other goal reaching things I could do in a group setting.

Anyway, I am very excited I finished a 5k!

How do you work through physical challenges and not beat yourself up or get frustrated?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your 5k even while in immense pain. I love your tough warrior like attitude.

....however, try not to make it a habit. Pain is the body's way of telling you to STOP and not listening can lead to even greater problems down the road. Try to find a balance between challenging yourself and working within your limitations.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your 5k even while in immense pain. I love your tough warrior like attitude.

....however, try not to make it a habit. Pain is the body's way of telling you to STOP and not listening can lead to even greater problems down the road. Try to find a balance between challenging yourself and working within your limitations.

Great advice, I totally agree!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Agree with DavPul.
    I'm goal-oriented, pig-headed and have a few injuries as well so can empathise.

The warrior attitude is great but choose your sports and exercises wisely.

How about cycling? Much kinder on damaged knees and ankles. Any friendly cycling clubs near you?

PS - Well done on 70lbs lost. :flowerforyou:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Again, I agree with the others. My suggestion is have you tried water walking? Less painful on the knees because the water takes most of your weight and there is limited jolting to the joints. Cycling is also a great option. And there are anaesthetic ointments that you can put on too- my mate has arthritis in her spine and runs halves with me. She carries a tube of gel with her and regularly reapplies to minimise the discomfort.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I have heard those exact words before a few times over.

My frustration comes from hearing you can't do this or that and I Want to Do this and that. I want to be out there with the active people. I want an active life! And another thing is I am a bit competitive and like being in a group with a goal of crossing the finishline certain amount of time. What other activity could I do where I get a in a goal or an achievement?