Using a running track when it's below freezing

Options
With the wind chill, it is currently 4° F but I want to get my walk in. I normally walk on a dirt road to the best part of my walk - the woods. Right now it is below freezing and the dirt road is frozen, which is hard on my bad knee.

I'm thinking about going to the high school and walking on their track. Will it be softer than the frozen dirt road? Do running tracks also freeze when it is this cold or does it depend on the surface of the track? I'm in Massachusetts so presumably they used a cold tolerant material.

I think it's far too cold to wear my sneakers, which are part mesh, but my partner thinks they should be warm enough. I just got new hiking boots and they are not broken in yet. These will be a lot warmer, but they are not nearly as comfortable. I may bring both, unless it is a big no no to wear anything other than running shoes on a track. (?)

My partner gave me a parka rated to -20 to -1° F - can't wait to check it out! Will also be wearing a balaclava, and leggings under my jeans.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your HS track is open to the public? They aren't always, especially when school is in session. If not, you might try your local mall or shopping center. Either indoors or outdoors there is a large space to walk in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your HS track is open to the public? They aren't always, especially when school is in session. If not, you might try your local mall or shopping center. Either indoors or outdoors there is a large space to walk in.

A track website (not the school site) said it was open to the public. However, my OH went there and said there was a fence with a lock.

I ended up driving to the woods and walking there. I prefer this to track anyway.

I'd recommend mall walking to people who aren't polar bears like me. Before I left the house, I realized the new parka was going to be too hot and swapped it out for my old one, and before I left the car I took off another layer.

I brought my clippers and did some trail maintenance while I was at it, so my 2 mile walk took 77 minutes.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I don't think rubber freezes....? I am almost positive it will be 'softer' on your joints than the dirt if the ground is frozen and you notice that.

As far as what you're wearing....I typically dress in layers in the cold and plan on being able to strip down to appropriate clothing for ~15degrees warmer than it actually is outside bc I warm up nice when I'm running. So whatever works like that for you.

Edit: just to say, as long as you are comfortable and properly dressed for the cold - you can get out there any most any temp in the colder direction. =) Have a good one!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Lol I don't know how you guys do it.

I'm a climate controlled runner haha