gaining weight/ overall mass

Options
i’m 6’2 tall and skinny build. i eat the average 3 meals a day with snacks but do really struggle to put on weight. i’ve always been skinny but have decided to try and make a change now. i way just under 69kg and want to gain roughly 7kg as quick as possible. what is your advice?
Tagged:

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    The unpopular advice with weight gain or loss is not to focus on quick wins. I know it’s satisfying to see the scale move and think you've achieved your aim, but is it sustainable? And have you actually achieved your goal?

If you’ve always struggled to put weight on, then you need to work on a change to your long term diet. If you know what your daily calorie needs are to maintain, then add a small surplus (c200 cals per day) and work on achieving that. You can drink your calories if that’s easier, or plan a higher calorie low bulk extra snack such as nuts, full fat yoghurt or chocolate milk.

The problem with fast weight gain is that you will likely gain fat, which might not be healthy or what you want. And if you don’t address your longer term diet, you could lose it just as quickly. Then you’re in a viscous circle.

So start by recording all your food in MFP, work out exactly how much you need to maintain. Then plan on slowly adding extra calories. Do also think about adding in some strength training (if you don’t already do it), both for health and aesthetics.

Give us your daily calories, tell us what you like eating and some of the great people in here will be along to give you some ideas soon 👍