What Do You Wish You Knew When You Joined MyFitnessPal?

Options
Betty
Betty Posts: 8,817 MFP Staff
edited February 2023 in Getting Started
MyFitnessPal will be hosting a webinar for new members, and we want to make sure we’re sharing relevant information. That’s where YOU come in!

As a former newbie, what do you wish someone had told you when you first joined MyFitnessPal? What did you struggle with when you first started? Topics can include: helping new members navigate MyFitnessPal, how to use key features, tips on setting goals, etc.

Please submit your questions and/or recommended topics we should cover by 1/3/2023. Your valuable input will help us develop the talking points for the webinar, so thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Here are a few ideas to get you started:

Are there any tracking tips for people who have never tracked food before?
How do you set realistic and healthy goals?
What are macros—and why are they important?
How do I customize my macros for weight loss? Weight gain?

Please Note: By commenting or replying in this thread, you acknowledge and agree to the use of your name, comments, replies, and/or entries, whether in whole or in part, by MyFitnessPal, including for the purpose of generating and distributing marketing materials to help inspire others. When posting, please follow our community guidelines. Any off-topic comments and disparaging remarks are subject to deletion.

Replies

• Sjwoood65
    Sjwoood65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to learn more about adding a whole meal and recipes so I don't have to keep adding individual entries for a repeat meal.
  • agarcia2582
    agarcia2582 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is my first-time joining premium although I have been using MyFitnessPal on and off since 2017. One suggestion I have to improve the experience is when logging a recipe from the Recipe Discovery feature to your diary there should be a way to link back to the recipe itself. I preplan my meals for the day in the morning or night before to ensure I hit or come close to hitting my macro goals for the day. Because of this, I often have to go back through the recipe section to find the cooking instructions for the meal I intend to make. I absolutely love the variety of meals to choose from and use this feature multiple times a week to try new health forward meals, so I have quite a few bookmarked. Is there an easier way to find the specific recipe quickly without having to scroll through all the rest?
  • kellyvz
    kellyvz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with agarcia2582 this is a feature I have wished myfitnesspal had!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    This website doesn't need a webinar, but clearer info for people signing up: which weekly weightloss goal to chose under which circumstances and clearer info on how activity level/exercise is accounted for.

and as we're doing wishlists here, I wish it was possible to search the database for food entries in grams and not see any results in servings/units/etc or cups. Should be an easy enough filter to implement.
    @yirara
    I usually put “Brussel sprouts 100g” and I find that returns the best entries, or (as I’m in the UK) I will put “Brussel sprouts Tesco” as that usually works too. Not perfect, but it’s an okay work around 👍 (can I just clarify that I don’t just eat Brussel sprouts?)
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    SheilaN wrote: »
    I feel alone here. I have started this many times and end up stopping because I don't get a response to my comments which to me equals no support. I would like to know where I go to get an active group run by a mediator or leader of myfitnesspal? Or is it just by members?

I think it's just by members. Having said that, there are lots of supportive groups on here! I think the 5 percent groups are really supportive, there is a former weight watchers group called Guys On A Diet (for women as well), some groups for people over a certain age or needing to lose a certain amount of weight...If you post the question (on a new thread), what are your favorite supportive groups? I think you would get a whole lot of good answers.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that long-term success is possible. And how useful the community boards are!
  • Fluffynomore58
    Fluffynomore58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What determines how many carbs, fat, protein etc in this app? When I look at the goals for example it says I should have 145 grams of carbs? That seems like too much, and I never meet that goal.
    I just put in how many calories a day I thought I should consume. Pretty sure I am not doing this correctly.
  • cthpayne
    cthpayne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I prefer to log my meals in right after finishing the meal. This way I capture exactly what I’ve eaten and know my tracking is accurate. I am having very good results scanning barcodes. Yesterday I had a bunch of organic red chard and the scanner enabled me to plop it right into my dinner meal tracking. I’m having a lot of fun with the app.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    That joining a weight loss app or group does not mean I will actually change my weight. But it does help to keep track of where I am; and over time, where I was. The actual change in weight comes from my own personal lifestyle changes and not from anything the app or group does beyond help influence my behavior. ... which is a 'biggie'!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    With practice, everything becomes easier, more efficient. When I first started with MFP, logging a single meal would take upwards of ten minutes. Fast forward 9 years, and I can log an entire day's worth of food and exercise in under sixty seconds.

Figuring out how to modify the number of meals per day logged, the names of said meals, and which macros- or micronutrients were tracked took some trial and error way back when. Haven't checked to see if directions to do these steps have improved since then or not.
  • sleepygirl79
    sleepygirl79 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel alone here. I have started this many times and end up stopping because I don't get a response to my comments which to me equals no support. I would like to know where I go to get an active group run by a mediator or leader of myfitnesspal? Or is it just by members?

I felt the same. I wanted a friend who would keep me accountable, but couldn’t find anyone to stick with me long term. I’d love to have someone who will give me heck when needed. Not tell me ‘start fresh tomorrow’

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options

I know a group that you might like. It's pretty supportive. Search the community for "looking for a supportive group of people to share your MFP Journey with?" and either filter for my username or by dates in the last week or so. Join us if you like.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I came here to make the same suggestion - the name of the group is 'Lose 1 lb a Week and Keep It Off 2023' if you search under groups, then click join, and within 24 hours we can let you in! So sorry you are feeling this way 😞

There is a google sheet linked to our group and you do need to enter your starting weight and quarterly goals for 2023, and then weigh in weekly on it. ✏️

Please see the post from @mtaratoot for more details as to what is mandatory and what is optional. Mandatory is honestly pretty minimal! And I think I covered it, tbh 😇

Our group motto is Sticking With It!
  • H00LEE
    H00LEE Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to add different exercises than the ones which are pre-populated?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Yes, but maybe it's better to find something close.

What are you trying to add? How will you determine how many METs the activity uses?

METs are "Metabolic Equivalents." You can find information about how much an activity burns in the Compendium of Physical Activities.

If you MUST add a new exercise, from the website, search for your activity. If none is found, click the "Add exercise to the database" link at the bottom. I think this will then be in your "My Exercises" area and not in the actual database. I once added, "Falling Asleep in Church." I think it burns 20 calories per hour.... 🤣🤣🤣