Bone broth base soups

Options
maenfayne
maenfayne Posts: 1 Member
Hello lovelies, please share your favorite bone broth based soups here. No dietary restrictions, but the simpler the better. Any and all spices welcome! We love flavor.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    Pho.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Ramen.

Vegetable beef barley soup.

Chicken broth with diced chicken, egg noodles, beaten eggs, and lemon (similar to avgolemono soup, except I prefer egg noodles for flavor, plus they're quicker and easier than rice). Sometimes I'll do it with rice and add crushed dried mint and serve with a dollop of yogurt, which I think I got from a recipe in Molly Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook, although I haven't looked at the original recipe in so long, I couldn't swear to it.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My soups are fickle…they can take bone broth or veg broth or a 50/50 broth. I like to save all my bone scraps and veg scraps in a ziplock in the freezer. When I fill the gallon baggie, I pull out the crock-pot, dump the scraps and add 8-10 cups of water and cook it all night. Strain it, cool it, pull off the fat. I have my rice cooking liquid, my sauce base and my soup base for the week.

I love shooting for super low calorie puréed soups that seem rich since the broth is low calorie.
    I add onion and garlic to almost everything.
    Selection of a nice main star veg. I like mushroom, squash, parsnip, carrot, spinach, celery, beet, tomato, roasted bell peppers.
    I use apple and pear to sweeten them up…a packet of Splenda if the fruit falls a bit short for the flavor profile.
    I use silken tofu to add creaminess and protein…sometimes. Finely chopped meat if it seems right.
    I also use almond milk, hemp milk, soy milk, macadamia milk instead of dairy milk.
    I can use fat free milk, leftover buttermilk, a splash of half and half, a bloop of sour cream or yogurt.
    Depending on the flavor direction…sherry or vermouth can really spark it up…just a tablespoon or two will do it.
    Don’t salt until it’s blended and then little bit by little bit. Black or white pepper to taste, finely chopped/minced fresh herb like rosemary, sage, thyme. Turmeric for color, cinnamon/nutmeg for a warm flavor…just be inspired.

Blend it with the submersion blender and voila. If you left it cream free, a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and a little herb atop for decoration and you are looking so fancy.

I take it meat/veg sometimes too. Carrot, celery, onion, green pepper, mushrooms…whatever is in the fridge. Whatever meat is leftover or ‘on deck’. Salt and season to taste. I like to add raw spinach in the bowl and pour soup over as well as any leftover lentils, beans, or rice for substance. Sherry, Marsala or vermouth if it seems right. OR…any vinegar at the table.

I’m not sure this is what you were looking for but, I started making soups 20 years ago and now I just let my fridge and pantry make the soup. We eat soup almost every day. As a first course, it helps us eat less.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    [snip] I like to save all my bone scraps and veg scraps in a ziplock in the freezer. When I fill the gallon baggie, I pull out the crock-pot, dump the scraps and add 8-10 cups of water and cook it all night. Strain it, cool it, pull off the fat. I have my rice cooking liquid, my sauce base and my soup base for the week. [snip]

This is how I do it, though I separate by animal and save the fat to use for cooking, too. I use broth in place of water for almost every savory recipe. Rice, boiling potatoes, all in one skillet meals, you name it.

It involves some chopping but I love chicken tortilla soup this time of year. This recipe is nice because you just throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and then just leave it. You can adjust fixings to your taste and dietary needs.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    [snip] I like to save all my bone scraps and veg scraps in a ziplock in the freezer. When I fill the gallon baggie, I pull out the crock-pot, dump the scraps and add 8-10 cups of water and cook it all night. Strain it, cool it, pull off the fat. I have my rice cooking liquid, my sauce base and my soup base for the week. [snip]

This is how I do it, though I separate by animal and save the fat to use for cooking, too. I use broth in place of water for almost every savory recipe. Rice, boiling potatoes, all in one skillet meals, you name it.

It involves some chopping but I love chicken tortilla soup this time of year. This recipe is nice because you just throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and then just leave it. You can adjust fixings to your taste and dietary needs.

I sometimes also roast the bones too in the air fryer prior to making stock. I think it strengthens the flavour of beef stock, but I don't notice much difference with chicken stock. I keep a separate bag in the freezer for shells from prawns, crabs, etc. Roasting the shellfish shells does make a difference.
  • jwasson3
    jwasson3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take a "carcass" or bones from the freezer.....put in a big stock pot with cut onion, garlic, carrot, celery and ginger. Fill pot to top and simmer for a few hours, like 5 hours. Then I drain and chill the broth so I can skim the fat off. (i give my chickens all the vegies i simmered). My go to then is 1 cup of lentils, carrots, celery, spinach, garlic, ginger and anything else that sounds good. I like the lentil for fiber and the rest for nutrients.....