Diet for those with autoimmune disorders?

Options
kkerri
kkerri Posts: 276 Member
Has anyone tried anything like autoimmune paleo or anything for autoimmune diseases?

Curious what you tried and if you saw results and how long.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My bf has hydradenitis. I switch him to Paleo and eliminated Nightshades from his diet and it has worked wonders. But every condition is different!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism & tried to avoid goitrogenic foods for a while, but it made no difference in my TSH levels. The only thing I've noticed improved it, was eating an Archway Coconut macaroon every day. When I started doing that, I was able almost immediately to cut my Synthroid dose in half...because it improved my levels so much. Coconut oil (& these macaroons are very moist) is supposed to be good for thyroid conditions.
  • kkerri
    Options
    Everything I read points me to a paleo type diet, but I am not really a meat eater. I may have to try. I have vitiligo, so I feel okay, but clearly something is amiss internally.
  • kkerri
    Options
    I am reading about people drinking "mugs of bone broth." Very hard for a former vegetarian to do. I can eat a bit of chicken breasts, but that's about it.
  • Sybil71
    Sybil71 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have tried several, Paleo AIP did not work for me. However, there are many whom have had great success with it. It seems with auto immune, each of us has different triggers and not any of us respond the same.

The constant I have seen with most is gluten free. The other triggers are trial and error, many having luck with an elimination diet to identify those.
  • kkerri
    Options
    Maybe I will start just trying to eliminate gluten for a couple months.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Venus Williams is going raw vegan for her particular auto-immune disorder, Sjogren's syndrome.
  • tanzaniawilliams3
    Options
    .I have sarcoidosis and have cut out all meat except seafood...also I cut out all dairy and I don't eat very much salt or sugar..it has helped my fllare ups a lot...I barely have any...also try to avoid stress
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Because each autoimmune condition seems to attack in different ways, & often different parts of the body, I'm not sure what works for one would work for another. But here's some supplements that Dr. Weil (Harvard Educated MD, who speaks around the world about Integrative Medicine...using alternative therapies that work, combined w/traditional medicine) recommends for vitiligo... http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400641/Herbal-Help-for-Vitiligo.html
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You mentioned bone broth, I couldn't drink it either. However, I make soup from it and that seems to work for us. My spouse has an autoimmune disease. Since I started making soup from the bone broth 6 months ago we have see dramatic improvement in her over all health. ALL of the markers the doctor tracks for her have gone up significantly.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's such a broad area, it would perhaps be wiser to search for specifics to what you suffer, as I've noticed even between others with the same diagnosis as me triggers are completely different. I avoid processed food as much as I can, foods high in sugar or fat, I rarely eat dairy, and avoid gluten. I also need to restrict my intake of raw foods unless I am quite healthy, and find red meats much harder on my system than seafood. It's all about trial and elimination, I've been doing as such since I was a child. Eliminate one possible trigger at a time, so you don't confuse the results for yourself. And research what others suffering from the same thing claim helps/hinders them, and figure out if it's relevant to you.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    On the Bone Broth...I've never heard of it helping for autoimmune things, but instead of that, you could probably take Gelatin Capsules (Capsules filled w/gelatin made of bone parts), available at Vitamin Shoppes. My husband takes those for his joints & it works well. Would imagine it would give you the same thing in Bone Broth. You can take them 4x/day & they're pretty cheap.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ^^ There is actually a lot of information suggesting bone broth to be something worth trying for people with a number of immune related problems/inflammation etc.