New Years 2023 Bodybuilding Goals

Options
Michaeldarlingtx
Michaeldarlingtx Posts: 7 Member
edited December 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
6w8v9aw89v1o.jpeg
Hello all! 43 turning 44 stay at home dad ready to try body building this year. I’ve been lame do to a piriformis issue for 6 months. Ready to unleash the beast in the weight room. Planning on going with a NO Carb diet. 4000 calorie a day diet.

I’m 6’5” 240. I want to be Lou Ferigono first Mr Universe at 265 lbs

Any suggestions, tips, welcomed. All the best, M

Replies

• dondondolittle
    dondondolittle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At 6’5 you’re already a beast. Try getting massive shoulders this year. Shoulders are always under appreciated but make people look extra in shape
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Looking good.

I have serious questions about the diet though. A TDEE calc suggests your maintenance if generally sedentary would be 2500. Add a few hundred per day for workouts as applicable, and your maintenance could be closer to 3000. If you add on 1000 per day, that's going to be a lot of weight gain including a lot of fat. I think you'd be better off with around 3000-3100. Or if your regular day isn't sedentary, maybe a little higher but still low 3,000 range. Check the Navy tape measure method to estimate your current body fat % too.

I would also strongly advise against going no carbs. You need those for energy for your workouts, and to help build muscle. Have a more balanced set of macros including about 200g protein, which is probably more than 1g per pound lean body mass, and should be enough for your goals.

Do you have mini-goals too? It's important to have those. YouTubers like Jonni Shreve have been talking about that recently, set yourself near term goals to work towards, as steps toward your overall goal.

Here's one of his YT shorts talking about that.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MyG3kSU4wTM

There's also this recent Will Tennyson video showing his diet and how he gained 25 pounds in 2 years with a lean bulk of about 3190 per day. He's 6'1" and quite lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NESkMel9k5Q
  • Michaeldarlingtx
    Michaeldarlingtx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning the carbs. I’ve read a couple books, now knowing carbs are essential. And I will hone my calorie count.

I’m definitely not sedentary. I just have pain when moving normally. 3 young babes doesn’t allow for sitting. I’d say active, lol. 2300 is maintenance calorie count for me.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don’t do no carbs. 4000 calories seems like a lot (even for your height)
    Do fasted cardio every morning, then gym session on the evening 5 days a week.
    Do a bodybuilders split, focus on machines and dumbbells. A lot of reps and medium to low weight.
    Make sure you’re losing 1-2lbs a week while getting stronger on your lifts/and or at least keeping the same strength levels
  • break_down
    break_down Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If 2300 calories is your maintenance number at your height and weight, then you are in NO place to bulk... unless you want to gain a LOT of fat. Your maint cals should be north of 3k. For example and context, if I get 10k steps in and lift on a random day, my maintenance cals are about 2800. I am 5'10", 195, and 52 y/o, & wear a 32 pant.

Slowly push your calories up while resistance training. I have not idea what your lifting experience is. I would not pay attention to anyone who prescribes a routine for you without knowing your history, health, likes/dislikes, gym accessibility, etc.

Fasted cardio makes no difference unless you are really pushing the boundaries of lean.. i.e. a bodybuilder in the final weeks before hitting the stage.

Just try to walk 8-10k steps a day. And 10 minute walks after meals are helpful for digestion, managing blood glucose, and more.
  • break_down
    break_down Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looking good.

I have serious questions about the diet though. A TDEE calc suggests your maintenance if generally sedentary would be 2500. Add a few hundred per day for workouts as applicable, and your maintenance could be closer to 3000. If you add on 1000 per day, that's going to be a lot of weight gain including a lot of fat. I think you'd be better off with around 3000-3100. Or if your regular day isn't sedentary, maybe a little higher but still low 3,000 range. Check the Navy tape measure method to estimate your current body fat % too.

I would also strongly advise against going no carbs. You need those for energy for your workouts, and to help build muscle. Have a more balanced set of macros including about 200g protein, which is probably more than 1g per pound lean body mass, and should be enough for your goals.

Do you have mini-goals too? It's important to have those. YouTubers like Jonni Shreve have been talking about that recently, set yourself near term goals to work towards, as steps toward your overall goal.

Here's one of his YT shorts talking about that.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MyG3kSU4wTM

There's also this recent Will Tennyson video showing his diet and how he gained 25 pounds in 2 years with a lean bulk of about 3190 per day. He's 6'1" and quite lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NESkMel9k5Q

I really like Will. He is funny and puts out solid nutrition and training content. One thing to keep in mind. He is in his early 20s. Bulking at that age vs mid 40s is not exactly apples to apples.

Do check out his channel though!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    Don’t do no carbs. 4000 calories seems like a lot (even for your height)
    Do fasted cardio every morning, then gym session on the evening 5 days a week.
    Do a bodybuilders split, focus on machines and dumbbells. A lot of reps and medium to low weight.
    Make sure you’re losing 1-2lbs a week while getting stronger on your lifts/and or at least keeping the same strength levels
    Broscience is strong here. You DON'T need to do fasted cardio. It DOESN'T burn body fat any more efficient than doing cardio after a meal (since physical movement is more dependent on glycogen and NOT FAT).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio, not for any theory of it working better, but because intense exercise upsets my stomach if I've already eaten. Add in how exercise, especially lifting, makes me hungry, and I prefer to exercise in the morning when I'm not hungry yet, and then eat after.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I do fasted cardio, not for any theory of it working better, but because intense exercise upsets my stomach if I've already eaten. Add in how exercise, especially lifting, makes me hungry, and I prefer to exercise in the morning when I'm not hungry yet, and then eat after.
    THIS. I don't eat before training for the same reason. But I'm carbed up the night before so that when I get in the gym at 5am, I have no issue with energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png