Diabetics

Are there any of you having trouble with Metforman. I am, the endo. changed me to slow release 500mg to try and that too is making me nauseated. I sure don't want to change to something that will make me gain weight. That would be the utter worse thing.

Replies

• willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 141 Member
    I am 63 and was diagnosed with diabetes three years ago. I take 1,000 mg of extended release metformin in the morning and the same at night. I had problems with nausea at first too. These things helped me:

1. Always take it with food.
    2. Drink lots of water.
    3. Lower the grams of carbs you eat. I'm eating 50-60 net carbs a day and that's also helping with weight loss. If I eat over 100 carbs a day I get nausea.
    4. Give it time. It took me several months to get used to it. :-(
    5. If you have to go off of it (because of illness or a medical test) then start it again gradually.
    6. You may be able to lower the dose or even stop taking it all together if you can lower your blood sugar numbers with diet, exercise, and weight loss.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    The thing is, I've been taking it about a year and is just now making me sick. My endocronologist has me eating 45 carbs per meal.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    YES!! my doctor had to take me off of it even though it was working great it was messing with my kidney functions!! :frown:
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    when I was on 1000mg, I was in the bathroom about 4 hrs a day with diahrea, my skin felt flushed, my bones ached at night, was constantly rolling over in bed; besides feeling nausious. She changed me to 500 slow release, after about 4 doses I feel nausious and flushed again.