I am around 8 kg underweight and dont know how to workout

Options
I'm starting to be in a calorie surplus consistently, and I want to start exercising, but I don't know where to start. I can barely do three pushups and feel incredibly weak overall. Any tips on how to start?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    There's a list of strength programs here, with discussion of pros/cons:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Despite the title, it includes strength programs - such as bodyweight programs - that can be done with no or minimal equipment. You can also ask questions on that thread (or here in the topic area where you've posted).

You say you're weak, so I may be reading too much into that, but if you see a specific program that looks good to you, but that starts with something more extreme than works for you, it's fine to start with lighter resistance (lower weights or adaptations to bodyweight exercises), lower reps, fewer sets, etc., then work your way up. You want a challenge in order to make progress, but it can be a manageable challenge, doesn't have to be something that's a total struggle or feels punitive.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's all about progression. You say you can do three pushups. First, make sure that's correct form not cheating. Once you can do three with good form, a day or two later aim for four, next week five, and so on.

Here's Coach Greg today praising a 400 pound fitness person who has the opposite problem to you with his weight, but a similar problem in terms of struggling with exercises. But again it's all about progressing. As he says, guy struggles to dead hang for one second, but before he couldn't do that at all.

Stick to the basics for now, starting with bodyweight only if needed. That's squats, rows, pushups. Start light, get the form down, avoid injury, progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZTr8piwpb8
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yes several good programs out there. Choose one that primarily focuses on compound movements. As far as a surplus, you only need a small amount over maintenance, actually with enough bodyfat, maintenance calories are fine. More food does not equal more muscle however it equals more bodyfat if the surplus is too big.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You have to consider "the rest of the story."

- How do you know you are "8kg underweight?" (normal weight has a wide range)
    - How old are you? (You're still growing until around 21y. It's normal to be lighter in your teen years.)
    - Do you have medical or psychological issues? (Don't worry, who doesn't?)
    - What resources can you draw upon? (Doctor, PT, nutritionist, psychologist, trainer, fitness classes, books, internet as a last resort)
    - If you want to "be in shape" start by being active. (Walk, ride a bike, take the stairs, do some gardening, take a dance class, take an exercise class-- it's all more fun with other people.)

You can elaborate if you feel comfortable or you can ponder these questions on your own.

Best of luck!