Low impact exercise DVDs / YouTubes for my Mum?

Options
kathleenjoyful
kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
My mother isn't overweight but she has arthritis, Fibromyalgia and high blood pressure, is in her early 60s. She used to walk a lot but shies from long walks now because of pain. I recently bought a yoga mat so I could do Pilates workouts at home on YouTube, and she told me she would start workouts at home again if I found her something low impact. For those who eased into their fitness journey or deal with pain issues, do you have any workout DVDs or YouTube videos you would recommend, for gentle exercise and stretching? Her goal isn't weight loss, just regaining flexibility and less pain, as well as mobility as she ages.

Replies

• addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love fitness blender. I find their videos easy to follow along with without annoying music and distracting visuals. I have done several of the low impact cardio workouts. They have a few for flexibility and balance as well. I haven't tried them, but I do think they do a really good job in general. I've done the good morning workout before and it feels good and is gentle. I don't suffer from any joint pain but I think it would be a nice option. http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Feel-Good-Stretching-Workout-Calming-Evening-or-Morning-Stretch-Routine/dp/
  • kathleenjoyful
    Options
    I love fitness blender. I find their videos easy to follow along with without annoying music and distracting visuals. I have done several of the low impact cardio workouts. They have a few for flexibility and balance as well. I haven't tried them, but I do think they do a really good job in general. http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Fluid-Stretching-Toning-Flexibility-Workout/be/
    This one is a 13 minute video designed to improve flexibility.

Thank you so much!
  • jessiefied
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about her fibromyalgia- its not fun - I know from personal experience.
    Has she tried pilates? My mum does it, shes 64 and has a brain injury so has terrible balance, manic headaches, trouble with movement etc. But she started off with the easy versions (keeping her head on the mat etc) and has worked her way up over the last 3-4 years. She lost 10kg originally and is now wonderfully toned etc for her age and looks alot younger :)
  • Katiejo97
    Katiejo97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not Jane Fonda has a series of exercise videos that she put out last fall that are low impact and geared toward older people. They focus on core strengthening. She even talks about her own challenges of a knee and hip replacement. Also, Leslie Sansone's "walk away the pounds" series is great. Both are available on u-tube. Hope this helps! It has helped my arthritic joints and weight loss plan. Good Luck to your Mom.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Have her try bellydance! Its super-low-impact but a great workout, and all you need is a sense of humor (no coordination required, you'll learn it). The best way to learn bellydance is in a class, but there are some excellent videos out there.

I have used:

Instructional Bellydance with Jillina: Level 1, 2, & 3
    Belly Dance Basics & Beyond, with Jenna: Belly Dancing Classes for a Solid Foundation

and
    Serpentine: Bellydance with Rachel Brice comes highly recommended by my bellydancing friends.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My arthritis has improved with yoga, pilates and piyo. All are low impact. She could do chair yoga to get started.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6 or walk away the pounds.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone. Her videos are very good for low-impact, small spaces. You can check out videos on Youtube, or buy DVDs from Walmart (like 10$?)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking DVDs
  • GmomLinC
    Options
    Definitely have your mom check out the Walk Away the Pounds videos with Leslie Sansone. There are a bunch of them on youtube. There are 1 mile to 5 mile walks.....and Leslie starts each one with slow walking and ends with stretching. If your mom finds any of the moves painful, she can just keep walking during that particular move. I'm 57, and I love all the WATP videos.
  • asmylie80
    asmylie80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah walk away the pounds is great... Easy and entertaining
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I think PBS still has early morning workouts. I remember there was one called chair aerobics that would be low impact.

Her doctor(s) should also know what's available.
  • kathleenjoyful
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your advice and suggestions! I've made notes of everything and will put together some links for her.
  • sj_1970
    Options
    Denise Austin Xtralite Beginners toning When I weighed 309 it got me down quite a bit and she can do things sitting.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think Richard Simmons's "Sweatin' to the Oldies" are great! They're pretty low impact. And if she feels like any of the moves are too hard she can modify them to fit her level of comfort. ^^

Plus he's just awesome and puts a big smile on my face when I dance with him.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The Denise Austin Pilates DVDs are excellent
This discussion has been closed.