Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Premium worthy...

Options
I would pay for premium if the app seperated good and bad carbs as well as good and bad fats. I track my macros, but it's not accurate to equate carrots and celery to potato chips or olives and walnuts to brisket. Maybe this is a common request, I don't know... but it sure would help me feel more heart healthy. I need my cheat snacks and want to know if I've overdone it...
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs, not sure what you want to distinguish unless perhaps sugar (which you can track on MFP, even the free version).

You can track the different types of fat on (free) MFP as well.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    @SuzieQuLawMom - you can track trans fat and saturated fat and added sugar if you are monitoring your ultra processed foods..

You can also customize your diary to have a category for “cheat foods” … set your own limit..

1m0mb44m0xmy.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I think you're conflating carbs with food types. Carbs aren't a type of food, they're a subcategory of nutrients within foods. Carbs are carbs, generally. The app sorts out the ones that are conventionally separable, sugars and fiber.

Speaking only for myself, I don't even believe in good and bad foods, let alone good and bad carbs. It's a judgement, mostly subjective. Different foods make different contributions to overall nutrition. You mention chips as bad carbs, but most of the calories in chips are from fats, not from carbs. Potatoes on their own are quite nutrient-dense, and research suggests they're quite filling for many people (potatoes, like baked/boiled, not necessarily chips).

It's not even the case that there are good fats and bad fats, strictly speaking, other than trans fats being considered problematic. Many authorities suggest limiting saturated fats, and getting a reasonable intake of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, but saturated fats aren't "bad", in the right balance with other nutrients.

If you get overall good nutrition on average over a day or few (adequate amount of some nutrients, not too much of some nutrients), and at appropriate calories, while staying full and happy, it's not a big deal nutritionally which foods supply those nutrients. Balance, basically.

I think SafarigalNYC had a good suggestion up there for you to categorize your foods as you see them. Nutritional experts don't have a data-based way to distinguish good carbs from bad carbs in the way you're suggesting.