Beginner's Weekly Active Minutes & Step Goal Challenge

TooMuchOatmeal
TooMuchOatmeal Posts: 15 Member
Hello! Anyone else feeling like they need to ease back into being active after a particularly derailed end of 2022? My challenge is for beginners and veterans alike. Maybe you've always wanted to become more active but never held yourself to account. Maybe you were active and then got hit by a rough case of the flu or derailed due to holiday chaos and now need to ease your way back into activity. No matter your reasons, this is for those looking to focus on building back consistency and holding yourself accountable for reasonable, small, goals you know you can manage but haven't quite been able to achieve recently (or ever!).

On a side note, I've got a Garmin Vivoactive 4S but no friends or family who have a Garmin to do fun challenges with. If you've got a Garmin fitness tracker I'd love to connect on the app but if not, that's fine too! We can all track progress here.

My challenge for consistency is focused on two areas: activity minutes and step count.

My target goal is to hit a minimum number of weekly active minutes over the next 5 weeks. I am defining 'active minutes' the way my Garmin Connect app does: an increased heartrate for an activity lasting at least 10 minutes of moderate intensity. VIGOROUS activity will count double. I am starting at 150 minimum active minutes each week, the week starting on Sunday.

For step goal, I live in the UK and the weather is absolutely miserable at this time of year. Gym is not currently an option, so this makes hitting 10k a day quite difficult! My personal target goal is: Average 10k steps a day over the week minimum, but aiming for average of 15k steps a day weekly.

Feel free to join in an share your progress/goals!

Week of 8th January, 2023:
*I've hit 44 active minutes so far
*I've done only 6,482 steps this week (a lot of catching up to do!)

Replies

• FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 981 Member
    edited January 2023
    Hi!

I'm right there with you in trying to hit my step goals and weekly activity mins.

My base goals right now are to hit a minimum of 6K steps a day (or my Garmin step goal, whichever's higher). I also would like to hit 150 active minutes per week.

I have a Garmin Venu SQ. Please feel free to private message me and we can exchange information to connect on the Garmin App. :)

Week of January 8th:

1/8
    Steps - 7,158
    Active Mins - 0

1/9
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/10
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/11
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/12
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/13
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/14
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/15
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

Weekly Totals:
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

• TooMuchOatmeal
    TooMuchOatmeal Posts: 15 Member
    Nice to meet you! I am going to steal your weekly layout. I hope it goes well for us both!
  • FindingSamMon
    edited January 2023
    Hi!

I like this thread even if it's just us posting for now because tracking publicly helps keep me accountable.

Here's hoping we make our goals this week!

Week of January 8th:

1/8
    Steps - 7,158
    Active Mins - 0

1/9
    Steps - 5,907 (boo)
    Active Mins - 0

1/10
    Steps - 7,414
    Active Mins - 40 (very intense 20 min cardio dance workout)

1/11
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/12
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/13
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/14
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/15
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

Weekly Totals:
    Steps - 20,479
    Active Mins - 40

• FindingSamMon
    edited January 2023
    Week of January 8th:

1/8
    Steps - 7,158
    Active Mins - 0

1/9
    Steps - 5,907 (boo)
    Active Mins - 0

1/10
    Steps - 7,414
    Active Mins - 40 (very intense 20 min cardio dance workout)

1/11
    Steps - 6,397
    Active Mins - 27

1/12
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/13
    Steps -
    Active Mins -

1/14
    Steps -
    Active Mins -