Cake Mix “Protein” Pancake Recipe

Options
springlering62
springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
edited January 2023 in Recipes
Several people have asked me for this recipe, so I’m going to “park” it here.

Works with any cake mix. My personal fave is Red Velvet, but I’ve made chocolate, Funfetti, lemon, carrot cake , devils food and vanilla.

Preheat your griddle or pan. This batter starts out fluffy but batter will deflate fairly quick, so you want to be ready to throw some on right away. The batter may be really runny on the last batch but will cook up fine.

1/3 box (about 45gr) cake mix
120 gr Bisquick Heart Smart
4gr baking powder
4gr baking soda
30 gr plain whey powder (I like Naked brand, Bobs Red Mill is awesome but costs an arm and a leg)

Mix well to get the lumps out, especially protein powder which clumps

Add in this order:
1 serving (30gr) complementary flavor Skinny Syrup
2 servings (226gr) low fat cottage cheese
1 egg
3 serving liquid egg whites
2 c (480gr) skim milk OR preferably liquid whey (if you happen to make your own yogurt or cheese-will make much fluffier pancakes but the whey reacts with the baking soda so that’s why you’ll want to add the whey last)

Mix well to get the lumps out and scoop with ice cream scoop onto a preheated, dry Teflon pan or griddle.

This recipe makes about 60 half-scoop (I use an ice cream scoop) pancakes, sometimes more, depending on the weather or the cake mix. I like a full plate so I eat 20% of the recipe, which is only around 300 calories.

It’s very forgiving. If you’ve got some whey at the top of an open yoghurt container, mix it with your skim milk. Your flavored protein powder might work in leiu of my plain.

Be creative. Add chocolate or vanilla extract, or cocoa powder. I’ve added shredded carrots or apples to carrot cake and buttered them with maple butter. I’ve added extra sprinkles to funfetti and had it with whipped cream and even more sprinkles (sprinkles weigh nothing, are only a few calories a gram, and hey! Sprinkles make every day a party.)

If you want to add peanut butter powder and some chocolate peanut butter Skinny Syrup, it’s all good. Coconut syrup in chocolate mix is nice. (I has allllllll de flavors in my pantry, as you can tell.)

My favorite is red velvet “buttered”
with homemade Greek cream cheese, served
with Walden Farms caramel syrup on top:
8w2adlhi1xtq.jpeg

This whole plate plus frothy coffee comes to 333 calories.

Hersheys makes a good sugar free chocolate syrup that’s 5 cal a 15gr serving.

I will freely admit, I like to roll these pancakes up and eat them with my fingers, pretending they are Little Debbie Swiss Rolls, which, alas, I gave up at the start of this journey.

To make Greek cream cheese, simply put a serving of Greek yogurt in a very fine sieve or cheesecloth and let drain a day or two in the fridge. The result is a super thick creamy “cheese” you can spread on anything. Oh, and the liquid you drained is just whey. Add it to your next pancake batch!

Replies

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @springlering62 ~ These look amazing and all the variations sound delish! Thank you for sharing the recipe - large enough serving to be totally satisfying emotionally :)

When you log - how do you log these? by the piece from a standard entry or do you adjust when you make a batch and know the ingredients? Wondering how the typical carbs and protein counts come in.
  • springlering62
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My diary is open. You could go to Tuesday,
    copy my breakfast, multiply each item by 5 and save as a meal.

(For heavens sake, disregard today. I’m coming off a mild bout of flu and had a tapeworm this evening. Always happens when I recover. )

There’s also a way to go into my own My Meals and copy the meal straight up into your own personal My Meals (I save foods as meals because recipes function is inefficient for how I use MFP). I can’t remember how, though. I think it has to be done from a laptop.

This is how you copy a meal from someone else. (This is great to know if you have a spouse following MFP because they can easily copy your meal. )

Find your friend and open their diary. Then find the meal you want to copy. Click on the three dots:
    g3u8x7z721qt.jpeg

When the next window opens, click save as meal and choose which meal:
    9indes23ea3k.jpeg

This will save it to your diary. You can go in and edit quantities (x5 in the pancakes case) and then click the three dots in your own diary to save as a permanent “My Meals”, if that makes sense.

I did add a smidge of ground cocoa. The skim milk is for my coffee froth.

• springlering62
    edited January 2023
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @springlering62 ~ These look amazing and all the variations sound delish! Thank you for sharing the recipe - large enough serving to be totally satisfying emotionally :)

When you log - how do you log these? by the piece from a standard entry or do you adjust when you make a batch and know the ingredients? Wondering how the typical carbs and protein counts come in.

Sorry I may have answered your question the wrong way.

When I cook a new food, I always make a new “my meal” and enter each individual ingredient using the most accurate entry I can find.

When I’m done I save the meal.

I never use the “my recipes” function any more.

“Meals” works better than “recipes” for several reasons. You can copy meals to create a new one, and give the meal a new names If you want to tinker with the ingredients. So if you look at my meals, you might see “Lasagna 6-1-22” and “lasagna 11-10-22”, and see either different ingredients or most likely, different quantities. Or you might see “whey pancakes” or a recipe called “Oops No eggs or Whey Pancakes”. 😜

When you “save” a meal to your diary, it saves each individual ingredient to you diary. If you save a recipe, it only saves a name and a number- no ingredients.

I prefer to save “meals” because, for example, I can look at today and see which macro I’m low on and why. Meals breaks them down. Recipes doesn’t. So , looking at macros and seeing protein is low, I can easily see I only had 5.44oz chicken for dinner, which is far less than normal. Having saved a recipe, I wouldn’t have that data.

“Recipes” does let you import a recipe from the internet, but I’ve found the imports to be so horribly inaccurate that they’re worse than useless.

Hope this makes sense.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was just trying to post in a combo of ingredients from a snack that I use often, remembered this, came back & refreshed on this. I could not really get the recipe thing to work very well and this a good alternative - i often swap out the add-ins based on current food on hand, so this really is a good solution for that.