How do I control my "sweet tooth"

I have been using myfitnesspal for a while now. I lost 56 pounds but have gained 25 back which is frustrating. I love sweets and am having trouble avoiding them. I do not keep them in the house. I want to get back to the original 56 and then lose more. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    When I crave sugar, I often turn to organic Smyrna figs and Medjool dates. Eaten slowly, 2-3 usually satisfies my sweet tooth. You could also make sugar-free Jello and add fruit and/or plain yogurt for a creamier texture. You wouldn't want to overdo it - but sometimes a simple cough lozenge quells a sweet craving. I sometimes pop one before entering a grocery or entering a snack-filled break room.
  • Summerof1972
    Summerof1972 Posts: 1 Member
    From someone who also loves sweets, I've been able to enjoy sweets and lose weight still by eating foods with lower glycemic sugar alternatives like stevia, monk fruit, coconut sugar ect since they are lower calorie but you still need to enjoy them in moderation since they are still sugars. Avoid artificial sweeteners though because they can overstimulate the pancreas. Another method I did is to find foods that I really like without sugar in them for example I found carbonated water that I really like and some protein snack packs that are good so i'll snack on those instead of the sugary foods I used to snack on. I'm still working on completely cutting out sugars : )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,865 Member
    For me, making it a point to eat whole fruit every day led to a reduction in cravings for more calorie-dense sweets like baked goods and candy. This doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen others here say it helped them similarly, so it could be a thing to try.

At first, it took a little willpower to eat the fruits and avoid the other stuff. At the start, I made it a point to eat 3 whole fruit servings every day. After a while - small number of weeks, maybe? - my cravings for the other things subsided, and later I could be more flexible with fruit servings and still keep the effect. (I still like fruit, usually do eat 2-3 servings or more, but not always.)

In the longer run, for me, many baked goods and candies started tasting way too sweet, too simple, just not interesting or satisfying - not worth their calories, for sure. I still like the occasional rich or special dessert, but don't constantly crave high-calorie sweets in the way I used to. YMMV.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,927 Member
    Diet soda for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

• ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Portion control. I still have a cookie. I finally figured out to not have a selection of different kinds, but only 1 kind available so that i can have 1 or 2, not 1 of each kind.
    Chocolate is broken down and kept in the freezer. A couple of small pieces end my day.

Chips are my downfall, the bag must be comsumed in one sitting so they are not in the house.