Intermittent fasting

Options
bon051656
bon051656 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Looking forward to trying Intermittent fasting the correct way.

Replies

• fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    How’s your intermittent fasting going?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    bon051656 wrote: »

It's great you're giving it a go. The correct way? Is there a wrong way? Honestly, I figure if it works for you, call it what you want and don't worry about what "they" think that are supposedly making the rules. But then, I'm a rebel.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    bon051656 wrote: »

It's great you're giving it a go. The correct way? Is there a wrong way? Honestly, I figure if it works for you, call it what you want and don't worry about what "they" think that are supposedly making the rules. But then, I'm a rebel.

Agreed - it is the concept/principle of intermittent fasting that’s useful. If that is understood there are multiple ways it can be put into practice.

• KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What is the correct way? I’m new to intermittent fasting. I’d like to know what fasting periods people have had the most luck with and what kind of eating plan they follow. I’m particularly interested in the results for women over 50. Thanks!
  • sollyn23l2
    edited May 2023
    Options
    KristieJC wrote: »
    What is the correct way? I’m new to intermittent fasting. I’d like to know what fasting periods people have had the most luck with and what kind of eating plan they follow. I’m particularly interested in the results for women over 50. Thanks!

There is no correct way. Probably the most common is 16/8, meaning for 16 hours the kitchen is closed, no eating (this includes your sleep time). It generally means either skip breakfast or dinner, whichever you prefer. That being said, fasting is not really shown to have any particular benefits.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Here's a link that talks about it and the benefits with links to studies.

https://healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

For weight loss, if that's your motivation for doing it then finding a schedule that fits your lifestyle would be very important. The main benefits are increased insulin sensitivity and more stable blood glucose over time but most people, especially here are looking for weight loss, which the studies show IF to be a pretty good strategy. Cheers
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options

There is no correct way. Probably the most common is 16/8, meaning for 16 hours the kitchen is closed, no eating (this includes your sleep time). It generally means either skip breakfast or dinner, whichever you prefer. That being said, fasting is not really shown to have any particular benefits.

It does have particular benefits for those who have insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, and type 2 diabetes. In terms of fat loss, it is not some magic bullet, and will not result in faster loss except in so far as it may help some people with adhering to their calorie goals.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

It does have particular benefits for those who have insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, and type 2 diabetes. In terms of fat loss, it is not some magic bullet, and will not result in faster loss except in so far as it may help some people with adhering to their calorie goals.

It may help with insulin sensitivity. My guess is that would be more related to any weight lost while intermittent fasting. But, either way, there's likely no harm in it as long as one isn't hypo, so I would encourage anyone to give it a try if they think it might work for them..
  • BGingerTX
    BGingerTX Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @KristieJC

I am considering IF 16:8 and am over 50, have you been doing it? If so how is it working out for you?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit fatloss wise unless it caused you to take in fewer weekly calories.
  • amberfoxglove42
    amberfoxglove42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love IF! It’s made my weight loss accelerate a lot! I started out with a 12 hour fast every day and have worked up to a 16 hour fast a day. Most of my bad snacking was at night so stopping food after 7pm was key!