New me 2023

Options
Hey y’all! So I used to be about 175 consistently & since then in 4 years I’ve gained weight! This morning and I am 199.5 and a lady told me yesterday I looked pregnant!!! This is where I draw the line!!! I need help, motivation, I always feel strong in the morning to start and by lunch I quit!! Help!!

Replies

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,860 MFP Staff
    Options
    Welcome to the Community! Wishing you success in reaching your goals.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

OK, this may sound silly, but it's really simple: DON'T QUIT. Don't quit at lunch. Don't quit in the afternoon. Don't quit at supper. Don't quit when it's time for a late-night nosh. Keep after it.

I presume you've gone through the guided set-up and developed a reasonable daily calorie goal. You need some strategies to assure success. There's some great tools around here to develop them. What strategies are you starting out with?

If you do have a bad day, don't quit. Just get back at it right away. Not next week. Not tomorrow. Now.

It can be hard, especially at first. Trust me; it gets easier. It never gets easy, but it is simple. One thing that may help you is experiment with different kinds of foods that leave you full for longer. Many people find that adding more protein and/or fiber can help you feel full. Often you might just be thirsty and your body thinks you're hungry. Have a glass of water and wait 15 minutes.

And then when you're ready to give up and raid the refrigerator? Wait ten minutes. Or five. Just wait ten minutes before you give up. Just ten minutes. Guess what? You can do it. Then you can go a few more. Soon you'll realize you can manage. You will get used to a small pang in your stomach. It will become less and less annoying. You will watch the scale go down most of the time, but it will go up sometimes. Don't stress that. Just stick to it and one last thing:

DON'T QUIT!
  • BeFit2023
    BeFit2023 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Very well said, one thing I can add is to work on taking walks and try to increase your steps as you get stronger. And it’s true that in time your hunger will go away as you stomach gets used to less calories. Good luck on your heathy life style change!!!!!
  • MuffinTopMan74
    MuffinTopMan74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First, some people, men or women, look better at a heavier weight. Also, even if a friend, it was rude to say what they said. Furthermore, there are several ways to slim down or become healthier. Simple walking, a good diet with enough protein, carbs, and fats, and joining a gym. You don't have to starve with huge calorie deficits, which doesn't work well when your body is not getting proper nutrition. Later in life, you develop osteoporosis or other body ailments due to poor nutrition. I lost 20 lbs just from walking 1 hour a day for 3-4 days a week; in 3 months: nothing strenuous but a steady pace. I am not including walking through Walmart or other types but walking in a park or high school track. I joined weight lift gym after consulting my Cardiology doctor and a dietician through my insurance. I am doing light weightlifting 3x a week and walking the other nights while my diet is taking care of my nutritional needs as in proper protein %, carb%, and fat%. You got this, and all you got to do is make the first step and stay steady. Don't be overdramatic and expect to make mistakes, but if you do, just get back on track and remember this is not short term but a steady journey to get where you want to be.
  • asimjmalik
    asimjmalik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • pbj333
    pbj333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Want an accountability partner?
    for daily check in to confirm healthy eating and fitness goals? Meal prep is really important. You can do this one day at a time.