woman building muscle advice?

Options
hey guys and girls

just wondering, I have finally reached my goal weight, however I am slightly flabby and have problem areas. I do resistance training everyday.

was just wondering to build some muscle like a ripped fitness model, what should my reps be? I do lift quite heavy weights and not really seeing a diff in shaping my bottom! ;)

thanks

Replies

• 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting For Women is a great place to start ...
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Please bear in mind the pictures you see in fitness magazines are usually air brushed to make these women look more ripped than they do in reality....but anyway...it's about so much more than your rep range.

You need to implement a decent compound lift workout (think squats, bench press, rows, overhead press, deadlifts) look at your diet (are you getting 1g protein per lb of lean body mass at a minimum).

Building muscle is a long term project that needs dedication and the right conditions to be in place. Get these right and you will be onto a winner :-)) Good luck.
  • therealslimme
    therealslimme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Books (also recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women), blogs and so on (see for example http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise) I have learned that you should not do resistance training every day because your muscles have to have a chance to regenerate between sessions. Better is every 48 hours.

Lifting heavier weights with fewer repetitions will also build muscle faster because you will do more damage to your muscle fibers and they will regenerate and grow new muscle tissue.

Also, if you eat or drink something with lean protein within 45 minutes of ending your workout that will help build muscles. The stress is on lean protein (i.e. whey shake) because fat reduces the absorption of the protein. Good luck!
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys

Think ill take a look at my macros about how much protein for a start
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    hey guys and girls

just wondering, I have finally reached my goal weight, however I am slightly flabby and have problem areas. I do resistance training everyday.

was just wondering to build some muscle like a ripped fitness model, what should my reps be? I do lift quite heavy weights and not really seeing a diff in shaping my bottom! ;)

thanks

I honestly honestly believe if you as a woman want to build that perfect toned physique like a Nicole Wilkins or so then you should ignore any gender related lifting routines and train like a guy - do a 5x5 novice program like Starting strength - or the IceCreamFitness 5x5 (my personal pic) and eat at a bit of a caloric surplus

I think you will be in love with the results
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Follow a novice program centered around compound movements. I'll also throw in for ICF 5x5. And really study it; the program is more than just exercises, reps, and sets. Combine that with that with a caloric surplus and bodybuilding macros and you will add muscle at close to the maximum rate.
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thank you :)