I cant lose weight!

Options

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I have to say this, it's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about when you eat those calories and what is IN those calories. You could eat 1200 calories worth of peanut butter or 1200 calories worth of protein and vegetables.. I know which one of those will help you lose weight. Also, you seem to be eating breakfast everyday but only having lunch or dinner rather than both. If your target is 1500 calories, allocate yourself 400 for breakfast, 400 lunch, 400 dinner and then 300 snacks. On Friday you had no dinner but 889 calories in snacks? Is this right? And on Saturday you skipped lunch and had a 845 calorie dinner? Are you just not logging things in order or is this how you eat? You need to stabilise your metabolism, eat regularly, don't skip meals and make sure the calories you do eat are GOOD calories. Too many people stick to the 1200-1500 calories a day but the calories they eat are full of sugar or saturated fats. Friday you had 96g of sugar this is about 23 teaspoons of sugar. Try and reduce your sugar intake to 30g a day (this is roughly the recommended intake for adults males) play with this amount for a little while and assess how you feel.

I have lost 18kgs and still have 11kgs to go. One thing I have learnt along the way is that you cannot trick yourself into thinking you're eating well because you're within your calorie goal, it's about what food you eat. 100 calories of vegetables is better then 100 calories of sugar.

Whops! I dont log things in order but I do log everything I eat. I didnt realize the sugar thanks for telling me, Ill stop drinking the carton of chocolate milk from school from now on, I believe that is the only bad sugar im getting though? 1 cup of 2% milk has 13g sugar but im sure its good sugar?
    Are you reading the other posts? The information here is WRONG, read cingle87's post. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of time, source, if the food was high-fat, etc. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Just be completely on the ball about calorie counting and it wouldn't matter if you ate your deficit in pizzas and lard, you'll still lose weight.

FACT
  • bearkisses
    Options
    I think you may not be eating enough. i only looked at 3 days of your diary. But you are an 18 year old male? working out and eating 1500? I lose weight eating 1500 and i am a 27 year old female, that seldom exercises!
  • pieee3
    Options
    How long have you been doing this without seeing a change? When you begin training you will get noobie gains and hold a lot of water to repair muscles which can temporarily increase weight. Weight also comes off in chunks so there might be weeks when you lose nothing and weeks when 4lb falls off. I tend to see a drop in weight when I stop working out for a few days so if you're getting disheartened that might be worth a try. As for the cardio, I think its plenty but steady state cardio is less effective than HIIT so it would be better if you could walk and then run for 30 seconds every couple of minutes.

I have been doing this about probably 4 weeks? I started out weighing 185 pounds eating junk and lifting weights (not a good job of lifting) But 4 weeks ago I started eating better and doing cardio and going ham in the gym.I was still about 185 though. The second week I took probably 5 days of diet pills that week and I got all the way down to 170 and I have been stuck at 170-174 since I stopped the diet pills for like 2 weeks now. Im trying to lose weight with gym and eating right but it seems to suck. Ill try walking then doing a sprint every once and a while to see if that helps, Or maybe I should just start jogging
  • ChristinaKitty
    ChristinaKitty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I have to say this, it's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about when you eat those calories and what is IN those calories. You could eat 1200 calories worth of peanut butter or 1200 calories worth of protein and vegetables.. I know which one of those will help you lose weight. Also, you seem to be eating breakfast everyday but only having lunch or dinner rather than both. If your target is 1500 calories, allocate yourself 400 for breakfast, 400 lunch, 400 dinner and then 300 snacks. On Friday you had no dinner but 889 calories in snacks? Is this right? And on Saturday you skipped lunch and had a 845 calorie dinner? Are you just not logging things in order or is this how you eat? You need to stabilise your metabolism, eat regularly, don't skip meals and make sure the calories you do eat are GOOD calories. Too many people stick to the 1200-1500 calories a day but the calories they eat are full of sugar or saturated fats. Friday you had 96g of sugar this is about 23 teaspoons of sugar. Try and reduce your sugar intake to 30g a day (this is roughly the recommended intake for adults males) play with this amount for a little while and assess how you feel.

I have lost 18kgs and still have 11kgs to go. One thing I have learnt along the way is that you cannot trick yourself into thinking you're eating well because you're within your calorie goal, it's about what food you eat. 100 calories of vegetables is better then 100 calories of sugar.

So wrong it hurts, this whole the only way to loose is to eat clean is pure BS. Lets take your example 1200 cals of PB vs 1200 cals of protein and veg . Yes one gives you a more balanced diet, but they are still 1200 calories worth of energy for your system. Your body doesnt give a flying monkeys where it get its 1200 cals from as long as its getting its 1200 cals. You will find many people on here that eat dirty and love it, I for one am happily loosing with and guess what, I eat dirty, my diary is not all protein and veg, crossian every day, beer when im not working and its not stopped me one bit.

Next to your point about meal timings, again more BS. Meal timings have no affect what so ever on your body, many people on here are doing IF where you have prolonged periods of not eat, and then consuming all their cals in a short window, suprise suprise they are loosing, even though going against your meal timing theory. Myself will often skip breakfast and have all my cals for lunch dinner and snakcs.

So please when you are giving adivce don't say this is how you should be doing it, say this is how im doing it and its helping me, but there are others ways.

Untrue. Your body notices if you eat say 1200 calories of chocolate. You will be getting much more sugar than say 1200 calories of vegetables. Bodies process things differently. Some people need more protein, some people need more carbs, ect. Not to mention that you're a male so it's easier for you most likely. If all you eat is say. ice cream, you're going to have a lot harder time getting healthier and gaining muscle and burning fat though, no matter what. Eating balanced is important otherwise, you won't or will have a very hard time being healthy as your body needs a proper balance of vitamins and minerals and all that jazz. Have you tried eating "clean" compared to eating "dirty"? If you haven't you can't argue as maybe you'd do even better if you ate clean, maybe not though. It also depends on what you think is "dirty". Eating clean doesn't mean you have to eat all veggies and protein 24/7 and never touch beer.

Also, timing at night is important theoretically, as well as if you decide to eat right before an intense activity or after, and if you do it so that throughout the day you feel full and never feel the need to binge (hence why it is often suggested to have 5 small meals).

Anyways, pleee, are you on any medications?
  • genkiemi
    Options
    @ op, maybe you're losing inches? are your clothes baggy? are you more toned and defined? how about changing your routine? try some yoga. or go to a class at your gym. get a work out dvd from the store.
    also, watch your sugar intake and sodium. I cut out a lot of salt and about 5 of my 11 lbs was water weight. If you're still in school, ask a gym teacher. If not, go to your old school and ask a gym teacher.

@ genkiemi , there is such a thing as too much cardio and not all calories are created equal. a 4 oz piece of chicken breast may have the same amount of calories as a pop tart, but one has calories that give the body the needed energy. the other is known as an empty calorie. no nutritional value at all. When I was your age, and younger, I was taught this in high school. now that I'm older, speaking with doctors, dietitians, nutritionist, and personal trainers, I'm going to agree with the ones that are certified and have spent their lives researching weight loss.
    http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1822118,00.html
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/is-a-calorie-a-calorie/
    and plenty more a simple google search away.

The term "empty-calorie" refers to exactly what you said, a calorie without nutrition behind it--a poptart with no vitamins or benefits to speak of, vs a chicken breast packed with protein. But the calorie ITSELF is still the same. They will both give you energy, albeit in different speeds/consistencies (ever heard of a sugar high?), but in terms of counting calories for WEIGHT LOSS, there is no difference.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options

this is false. A study was done where the researcher himself ate 1200 cals a day in TWINKIES. no execise. And he steadily lost weight.

The only thing that I disagree with about a calorie being a calorie is that some types of exercise burns sugar first and then starts burning off fat stores after the sugar in your system is gone so IF you were eating more sugar on a daily basis than what you were burning off, you might not actually lose fat. But for somebody that isn't eating a ton of sugar, there is nothing to worry about.

This is the first link that I found that explains it pretty much. Again if you don't have a system filled up with carbs then you should be burning fat.

http://cannonbeachspa.com/blog/?p=26
  • bearkisses
    Options

So wrong it hurts, this whole the only way to loose is to eat clean is pure BS. Lets take your example 1200 cals of PB vs 1200 cals of protein and veg . Yes one gives you a more balanced diet, but they are still 1200 calories worth of energy for your system. Your body doesnt give a flying monkeys where it get its 1200 cals from as long as its getting its 1200 cals. You will find many people on here that eat dirty and love it, I for one am happily loosing with and guess what, I eat dirty, my diary is not all protein and veg, crossian every day, beer when im not working and its not stopped me one bit.

Next to your point about meal timings, again more BS. Meal timings have no affect what so ever on your body, many people on here are doing IF where you have prolonged periods of not eat, and then consuming all their cals in a short window, suprise suprise they are loosing, even though going against your meal timing theory. Myself will often skip breakfast and have all my cals for lunch dinner and snakcs.

So please when you are giving adivce don't say this is how you should be doing it, say this is how im doing it and its helping me, but there are others ways.

Untrue. Your body notices if you eat say 1200 calories of chocolate. You will be getting much more sugar than say 1200 calories of vegetables. Bodies process things differently. Some people need more protein, some people need more carbs, ect. Not to mention that you're a male so it's easier for you most likely. If all you eat is say. ice cream, you're going to have a lot harder time getting healthier and gaining muscle and burning fat though, no matter what. Eating balanced is important otherwise, you won't or will have a very hard time being healthy as your body needs a proper balance of vitamins and minerals and all that jazz. Have you tried eating "clean" compared to eating "dirty"? If you haven't you can't argue as maybe you'd do even better if you ate clean, maybe not though. It also depends on what you think is "dirty". Eating clean doesn't mean you have to eat all veggies and protein 24/7 and never touch beer.

Also, timing at night is important theoretically, as well as if you decide to eat right before an intense activity or after, and if you do it so that throughout the day you feel full and never feel the need to binge (hence why it is often suggested to have 5 small meals).

this is false when it comes to weight loss

true for nutrition. Obviously the body treats 1200 cals of sugar different than 1200 cals of carbs from veggies. But calorically they are equal!
  • pieee3
    Options

Whops! I dont log things in order but I do log everything I eat. I didnt realize the sugar thanks for telling me, Ill stop drinking the carton of chocolate milk from school from now on, I believe that is the only bad sugar im getting though? 1 cup of 2% milk has 13g sugar but im sure its good sugar?
    Are you reading the other posts? The information here is WRONG, read cingle87's post. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of time, source, if the food was high-fat, etc. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Just be completely on the ball about calorie counting and it wouldn't matter if you ate your deficit in pizzas and lard, you'll still lose weight.

Yes im reading everything, But wouldnt it be better to eat healthier than a diet with high-fat pizzas and lard?
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Yes im reading everything, But wouldnt it be better to eat healthier than a diet with high-fat pizzas and lard?

Nutrician wise yes, its better to eat a balanced diet to give your body the proper vitiamins etc, but in regards to loosing weight, its a simple formula of Cals in - Cals out (unless of medical condition) = weight loss simple
  • genkiemi
    Options

Of course! Eating refined carbs and sugars are digested very quickly and you'll be hungry again in an hour, which can lead to you eating more than if you ate whole grains and proteins, which keep you full for much longer and make the diet change much easier. Also, fat has a high calorie density than carbs and protein, which means you'll reach your calorie limit much faster if you only eat pizza (a nice visual example: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm). And of course you need to make sure that you're getting your proper nutrition for your other body functions. But in the end the calories are still the same, if you can manage a deficit on pizza (and take a vitamin supplement or something), you'll still be able to lose weight.
  • pieee3
    Options

No medications, I do notice timing help against binge eating but apparently I need to eat more calories lol Im going to try to do a 40% protein 40% carbs (good carbs) and 20% fats diet as of when I wake up
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    "According to a Tel Aviv University study, human metabolism is significantly impacted by our body clock — the circadian rhythm that manages our body’s biological processes over each 24-hour cycle".

http://www.timesofisrael.com/want-to-lose-weight-make-breakfast-your-big-meal-and-have-dessert-with-it/

http://israel21c.org/news/eating-a-big-breakfast-fights-obesity-and-diabetes/
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this without seeing a change? When you begin training you will get noobie gains and hold a lot of water to repair muscles which can temporarily increase weight. Weight also comes off in chunks so there might be weeks when you lose nothing and weeks when 4lb falls off. I tend to see a drop in weight when I stop working out for a few days so if you're getting disheartened that might be worth a try. As for the cardio, I think its plenty but steady state cardio is less effective than HIIT so it would be better if you could walk and then run for 30 seconds every couple of minutes.

I have been doing this about probably 4 weeks? I started out weighing 185 pounds eating junk and lifting weights (not a good job of lifting) But 4 weeks ago I started eating better and doing cardio and going ham in the gym.I was still about 185 though. The second week I took probably 5 days of diet pills that week and I got all the way down to 170 and I have been stuck at 170-174 since I stopped the diet pills for like 2 weeks now. Im trying to lose weight with gym and eating right but it seems to suck. Ill try walking then doing a sprint every once and a while to see if that helps, Or maybe I should just start jogging
    . This isn't a plateau then. I'd guess that the weight you lost in the first 2 weeks was mainly water as you added cardio and better lifting and as your body has replenished its self you regained a couple of lbs and now your muscles are holding the water for repairs (I expect you would have lost without the pills). Its great that you are trying to eat better as your overall health should improve and you should start feeling better in yourself and hopefully have more energy for working out. I'd say its worth trying to work out your TDEE and eating at a small deficit as you won't be able to build much muscle in a deficit and more muscle will keep fat burning long after your workout. You could try jogging if you like but still add in a sprint to alter your heart rate every now and then. The most important thing is that your workout is something you will be able to stick to as if you dread it you'll end up giving up. Now I think you just have to be patient as it takes 2-3 months to really see if all your hard work is paying off.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You should probably seek advice from a doctor about eating habits and work out a plan that helps you. You'll soon see that this post will become a screaming match as opposed as something to help you. It took forever for me to know what to do, and I'm still learning. I was maybe a year or two older than you when I finally had enough and started losing. I looked at it logically. What's going to help me? Fruits, veggies, grains, the food pyramid, or candy and crap? Even though fruit has a lot of sugar in it, it's natural and easy for the body to digest, unlike candy which is refined, unnatural and hard to digest. Compare it to trash. A paper bag decomposes faster than a plastic one. You don't see lollipops coming off a tree do you? and if you do, let me know where it is. I don't know about all this clean or dirty eating. No idea what that means. But you know what you have to do. What's better for you? chicken, veggies, and rice, or a big mac with fries? Don't know if you eat that stuff. Water or pepsi? nothing wrong with having something occasionally. If I want ice cream when it's hot, I'll have it, but very small portion and not often. Sometimes I have a beer on the weekends. Doesn't make me gain back my weight that I've lost. Take it easy with the chocolate milk. Some people, like me, need to eat right and exercise. others, the Twinkie diet works for them.
  • pieee3
    Options

. This isn't a plateau then. I'd guess that the weight you lost in the first 2 weeks was mainly water as you added cardio and better lifting and as your body has replenished its self you regained a couple of lbs and now your muscles are holding the water for repairs (I expect you would have lost without the pills). Its great that you are trying to eat better as your overall health should improve and you should start feeling better in yourself and hopefully have more energy for working out. I'd say its worth trying to work out your TDEE and eating at a small deficit as you won't be able to build much muscle in a deficit and more muscle will keep fat burning long after your workout. You could try jogging if you like but still add in a sprint to alter your heart rate every now and then. The most important thing is that your workout is something you will be able to stick to as if you dread it you'll end up giving up. Now I think you just have to be patient as it takes 2-3 months to really see if all your hard work is paying off.

Okay so would you say I should eat more calories? Also with how much I have been eating I think I have gotten stronger than before (as long as im not losing strength im happy), When I do cardio I will like walk for 5 minutes and sprint for 30 seconds or something like that for 50 minutes? And being patient is so hard for me!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Okay so would you say I should eat more calories? Also with how much I have been eating I think I have gotten stronger than before (as long as im not losing strength im happy), When I do cardio I will like walk for 5 minutes and sprint for 30 seconds or something like that for 50 minutes? And being patient is so hard for me!
    Yes you should be eating more. When I started this journey I was eating 1200 cals and after a couple of months of doing just cardio for 1 hour a day I began to get sick and dizzy and had to have a break from my workout every 5 minutes as I couldn't breathe. I felt so much better when I increased the cals by a couple of hundred. I am shorter and female so in theory you should need even more calories than me. It's great that you feel stronger now and lifting will help you retain the muscle you have but I don't think you will feel strong for long if you don't fuel your body with more cals. TDEE calculations are just a rough estimate of your calorie needs but its a great place to start and if you aren't looking to lose much weight you should minus 10% off that to give you a small deficit so your body doesn't burn up too much muscle instead of fat. If you don't see the results you'd like after giving your body time to adjust (scale might go up before it goes down) then you can tweak the numbers a bit and maybe drop 100 cals to see if that gets things moving. Your plan for cardio sounds good.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options

You're so wrong it hurts. It's been proven that while yes 1 calorie is still 1 calorie, depending on the type of calorie and the way it digests will improve chances for weightloss. 1 calorie of celery will use more energy to digest than 1 calorie of chocolate.

Speak to a nutritionist or a personal trainer and you will be told the same thing about metabolism and regular eating.

Clearly his way of eating hasn't been working, so I'm merely telling him of a proven way that does work if done correctly. Why anyone would fill their days worth of calories with sugar and **** food is beyond me. I'd much rather pig out on nutritious food. Read a medical journal on nutrition and you will see tons of information that prove you will lose more weight eating the RIGHT calories.

I'd rather lose weight the healthy way, not the easy way. Cheers, thanks, bye.
  • sazroy
    Options

There is good sugar this is true, looks up fructose and see if any of the foods you're eating contains it. Glucose is awesome for our bodies and is in everything you eat, then you have lactose which is in your milk (I can't have lactose or dairy, as a sufferer of IBS I have to avoid dairy and fructose). Fructose is a huge contributor to weight gain. I never believed in it until I tried it. I always scoffed at the whole "sugar is bad for you" I was like "I rarely eat it anyway" or "Never heard of sugar hurting anyone before" until I began to cut it out, and my god do I feel better.
  • sazroy
    Options

I suggest you read a book called Integrated Nutrition. Then respond to my post :)