Injuries

animalrane2316
animalrane2316 Posts: 17 Member
Dealing with 3 bulging disks and sciatica to the point where I'm going to a pain Dr today to look at getting injections. I'm a competitive powerlifter and haven't squatted or deadlifted in 4 months! I'm starting to look like Jonny Bravo! Lol

Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    I'm kinda the opposite at the moment, dealing with an injured elbow tendon has me on a self-imposed no-lifting regimen for 3 months. I've increased my cardio to daily sessions to try to keep general fitness while I wait and rehab, so my legs are still getting plenty of work and are starting to out-mass my upper body, lol.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    I am having my 3rd foot surgery on 1/31/23 I broke my ankle and tore ligaments and tendons on 10/8/22 by playing ball with my 2 pups and falling into one of their craters in my backyard
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,602 Member
    Dealing with 3 bulging disks and sciatica to the point where I'm going to a pain Dr today to look at getting injections. I'm a competitive powerlifter and haven't squatted or deadlifted in 4 months! I'm starting to look like Jonny Bravo! Lol

Anyone else dealing with this?
    you need to be going to an orthopedic doc and not a pain Doc unless that’s what you meant. Injections are a coverup for the most part, they can work temporarily and rarely are the answer.

Once you start having these problems you may need to re think powerlifting

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Dealing with a complex fractured proximal humerus and currently am limited in what I can do. This will get better again.

With your disks you should discuss with an orthopedic doctor, preferably one who isn't too keen on quick surgery cause money. Also try to find an orthopedic sports doctor who might be able to tell you better than any other doctor what you can and can't do in the future, or maybe a physiotherapist for sporters, depending on how things in your country work. I would also consider the option that you have to give up power lifting, and what alternatives, better for your back you'd fancy to do. Stay positive, think in 'can do' and not in negativity like 'yeah, I can sit in front of the telly'. It's not easy but so important.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I’ve hesitated to reply as I’ve had my fair share of injuries but they’ve been stuff like broken thumbs, toes, sprains, pulled muscles etc. Bulging discs sounds both horrendously painful and very serious - so I don't think my experience about recovering from injury has any relevance. I’ve just stopped to send a hug as it sounds grim!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,602 Member
    As an aside, once you get to a certain point of nerves and discs it can be beneficial to use a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic guy.
  • randywilhelm1183
    randywilhelm1183 Posts: 6 Member
    So I once had 1 bulging disc. I did not lift weights at that time. However I would go on walks, soak in warm water, use tens machine, and do stretches. I refused the injections since I heard it only leads to more in the future. I did come out of it and I do lift weights on a regular basis. Including deadlifting and have not hd any injuries since.