Healthy snacks

Options
sidr415
sidr415 Posts: 2 Member
I’m a binge eater and I’m looking for healthy snacks if anyone has any? I have great intentions but like most people, I’m exhausted all the time because of work and never have time to do selfcare which is something I’m working on. I just signed up, so have yet to make friends. Look forward to meeting some on here. :)

Replies

• kkwilliams2015
    kkwilliams2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't figure out how to friend you. If you know how friend me. 58 year old married women with 3 adult children. Been heavy my whole life and been on many many plans
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds in the shell (it takes so long to shell a serving!) and air-popped popcorn are my go-to snacks when I’m feeling binge-y.
  • donna4192004
    donna4192004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's all about the crunch for me so some snacks we have on hand are homemade microwave popcorn with no butter or oil and use any flavor of DELICIOU which is a vegan flavoring it is amazing, always cut up celery and carrots in fridge along with hummus for dipping. The number one thing we always try to have on hand is a salad, but not just any salad. Each week we have it chopped up and on hand in fridge, we even eat it for breakfast or a snack. The salad is very filling and hearty made with chopped up red cabbage, green cabbage, carrot, celery, either red/orange/yellow pepper, a few dried cranberries and a bit of cut up orange. Whenever we are feeling peckish it is our go to for years, we have never tired of this healthy and filling salad. Sometimes I might using a bit of an italian dressing or sunflower seeds but it really doesn't need it and you can keep the calories down by not using any.
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like salty snacks, so dried seaweed, popcorn and Quaker mini rice cakes. I also sometimes will go for straight up protein which fills me longer (deli turkey, sardines in brine, jerky (check the sugar content though for jerky!)
  • drana325
    drana325 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Buttered Popcorn from a tin can. 2.5 cups is only like 110-140 cals.

I make a mug cake from bisquick pancake mix that’s only 96 calories. But I will tell you…it’s meh. It helps my chocolate fix. But it’s not like a full blown amazing chocolate mug cake.

.25 cup bisquick pancake mix
    1 tbsp hersheys unsweetened cocoa
    2 Splenda packets
    .5 tsp ghee or melted butter
    2 oz unsweetened almond milk

Mix well, pour in a mug and put it in the microwave for 90 seconds.

I’ve been trying to look for ways to cheat but still stay within my calorie goals. So I had to get creative.

• trp183
    trp183 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also lower carb (NOT KETO). So i find with snacks you have to have them either bought ready sized or pre-made or prep them if you have time. I also work a lot and often get home pretty late. I usually have ready made diet jello, cut-up veggies with homemade dip ( 2 tbs sour cream is 60 cal) or use a lower carb lower cal dip like the lighter trader joe spinach dip, or a serving of hilo keto doritos. If I have nuts in the house they have to be pre-portioned packs. Otherwise, I eat way too many. Sometimes a hot cup of herbal tea is helpful. I do not like garbanzo beans so I never got into hummus but my sister introduced me to lanatana siracha carrot hummus. It is made with white beans. Its super delicious.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Found an article on AOL news feed article about snacks that are surprisingly good for you when you crave something before bed. About an hour before bed. All are purported to help with sleep or one reason or another ... But like all foods ... everything is ok in moderation; and the difference between a meal and a snack is the portion size. ...

Air-popped popcorn
    chocolate pudding (single serving)
    applesauce (single serving)
    baby carrots
    apple slices and PB
    A single Banana Oatmeal Cookie — mix 1/2 of a banana with rolled oats and a T of cacao nibs. Form into small mounds on a cookie sheet and bake at 375F for 12-15 min
    Hardboiled egg and some Everything Bagel Seasoning
    Pumpkin seeds (an ounce)
    yogurt and frozen berries
    grapes (you can freeze em!)
    a peach with cottage cheese (or other stone fruits)
    Almonds (including almond butter)
    Montmorency cherries, dried, frozen, canned, or as juiice concentrate .. 1/4 cup
    Whole-grain toast with avocado (2 T guacaamole, 1 slice bread)
    Yogurt with Chia Seeds
    Banana and Sunflower Seeds (2 T seeds with a banana)
    cereal with low fat milk (whole-grain and no added sugar)
    Pistachios (better in their shells and unsalted)
    Wheat Crackers and Turkey Breast
    Hummus and grape tomatoes
    Pear and cheese (goat or stilton is great with pears)
    Half a Cantaloupe
    Half a bagel with smoked salmon
    Kiwi (2, an hour before bed)
    Protein Smoothie (m,ox 1 cup low-fat milk with 2/3 c frozen pineapple)
    Hot Cereal (oatmea, barley, or rice hot cereal with warm milk, cinnamon, & dried fruit)
    Whole-Grain wrap (6” tortilla) with chicken or turkey slice or a nut butter & banana
    Strawberries and Brie cheese
    quinoa and berries, pear
    Pureed frozen mango to make a sorbet
    Seaweed Chips (?)
    Trail Mix (dried fruits and nuts … maybe add in some Whole Grain cereal)
    Cottage Cheese with fruit
    Tuna and Whole-Grain cracker
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I meal prep my snacks just to make sure that I get them each day.
  • snoldeee24
    snoldeee24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Although they are more expensive, I find buying individual "snack size" packs of popcorn, crackers, and even chips (my weakness!), to be helpful. Then it cuts out of the time and effort to weigh it myself, and it limits exactly the amount I can have and no "wiggle room." Alternatively, you can make your own snack packs and have them ready to go. I do this with fruit often so they are ready to go in the fridge!
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like making cheater ranch dressing to make plain veg have a bit more yum factor. Nonfat plain yogurt, 4 ounces…your choice reduced calorie mayo, I like olive oil mayo, 1 ounce…1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt…grinds of fresh pepper to your taste…Mrs. dash seasoning to taste…teaspoon lemon juice…dash of white wine vinegar…sprinkle garlic powder to taste. Adjust seasoning as your palate dictates till you perfect it. You need to eat your dairy anyhow…why not jazz up your yogurt and your veg. The worst part is the mayo and you could even exclude it on a tight calorie day. We serve it to non-dieting guests and they enjoy it to the point of asking how to make their own.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Let’s connect! I tried to add you as a friend but couldn’t figure it out 🤷‍♀️.
  • losin_for_my_liver
    losin_for_my_liver Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    These are some of my go-to's:
    * low-fat, small curd cottage cheese with pineapple chunks (in juice vs syrup)
    * dannon light & fit greek yogurt cup, strawberry cheesecake flavor is a real treat and only 80 high-protein cals
    * sara lee delightful multi-grain warm toast w/peanut butter and a tiny amount of honey
    * light string cheese and some turkey pepperoni or a turkey sausage stick (eating less often due to sodium)
    * an apple or cutie mandarin orange
    * banana w/low-fat vanilla yogurt sprinkled with a small amount of Kashi Crunch (original or peanut butter)
    * strawberry banana smoothie w/low-fat vanilla yogurt and water to get correct consistency, made in my magic bullet
    * quaker cheddar rice crisps (but crunchy foods sometimes make me want to overeat, so I weigh out 1-2 servings in a bowl and limit myself to those)
    * mission carb balance 70 calorie tortilla w-kraft single nuked for 30 seconds
    * when I have the calorie budget, I love kirkland's whole cashews

You may notice that most of my snacks are protein-rich, so sticks w/me which makes a HUGE difference in keeping me from overeating.
  • dukesduchess350
    dukesduchess350 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To make sure i have a healthy snack when i need a snack i make my own trail mix ( dried fruits, mixture of nuts). When I have this I tend to eat less of the snack since the nuts i use will have a good amount of protein in them.
  • belamont
    belamont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A WPI or WPC protein shake with a banana blended in is quite filling and low calorie. Another great option is Yo Pro protein yoghurt (160 to 165g per serving) with ~20g of blueberries, ~25g of blackberries, ~25g of raspberries. Low fat, low sugar, and the berries are low in caloric density, good for fiber and nutrients. https://www.yopro.com.au/products/tubs/strawberry-tub/ (lots of different flavors to choose from).

I'm not sure where you're based, but I'm sure there will be a Yo Pro equivalent from your local supermarket or health shop.

I also keep plenty of bananas and apples in the fridge for a cool snack (Brisbane gets very warm/humid in summer so chilled fruit is great).
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My new go to is a squeeze pack of barney's almond butter (.6 oz so not too many calories) and a pack of 100 cal pretzels.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I plan ALL my snacks ahead of time. It took some work and planning but I'm at a point where I don't have any cravings. Lol even with the amount of weed I smoke and lemme tell ya, munchies are evil.