Options
Needing all the help I can get.Very difficult to get motivated.Overwhelemed with all the info,don’t really know where to start.Not tec savvy.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community!

The way to start is visit the goal-setting page. Enter your current statistics, your goal weight, and your desired loss rate. Don't pick too big a number. How much should you aim for? Here's an idea:

88a4gry2xzod.jpg

Once you have that, MFP will give you a daily goal for calories that already includes a calorie deficit to lose at your desired rate. Log your foods and try to get close to that number. Log any exercise because MFP is designed for that; your base goal does not include intentional exercise. Log completely and as honestly as you can. After several weeks, like four or six minimum, look at your results and compare them to what you would have expected based on your goal and how close you got to your goal. You can then adjust your goal accordingly. As you lose weight, your calorie allowance will decrease because there's less of you to move around, so keep that in mind too.

Motivation will only get you so far. An analogy is going to work. My last career started really great. I loved my job for the first 15 or 17 years. Before I retired, the last six or eight years wasn't joyful in the least. I was not motivated to go. But I went because that's the deal; if I wanted to get paid, I had to do my job. Motivation wasn't important. Same with weight management. It's about developing good habits. They may be hard at first, but they do get easier. Some people also relate it to brushing your teeth. I don't know too many people who are motivated to take five minutes to floss and brush, but they do anyway because it's a good idea.

So get started, and then the key is to just keep sticking to it. Look at the long term not the short term. STICK TO IT!