HIITS - not sure how to get started

Options
I am 55 years old and a walker. I walk 3-5 miles a day (I'm not a zombie) and I love it but it is so time consuming. I would like to get the benefits of HIITS but I have some arthritis in my knees and I'm afraid running would mess them up. I belong to a gym so I can use the bikes there. Any suggestions? Is here an app like c25k?

HIITs is high intensity interval training - supposed to boost your metabolism. I read about it in the IF Diet book

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Check out The Daily Hiit. Here's a link to their beginner challenge: http://www.dailyhiit.com/content/beginner-challenge. These workouts are short, intense, and hard. I started this summer when my kids were home from school and I couldn't get away to go to the gym. Some were way too hard for me at first but I modified them and was eventually able to keep up. I did a seven- day challenge (not the beginner one above) but stretched it out to 14 days. Then I continued doing new workouts that they sent to my email every day. Now that the kids as back in school I can get to the gym more regularly, but I still get daily workouts sent to my email from this site and they're fantastic when time is short. I feel STRONG and I have all kinds of stamina and I just know I have a six-pack but it's still hiding behind a layer of fat. LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is all kinds of different HIIT. I like sprints (running, cycling, swimming) and tabata myself. When I say sprint, I mean full out...fast as your body can possibly move for a good 15-20 seconds...then rest for a minute or so and then do it again. A few rounds of tabata will rock our world too.
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Good morning:)! I too am mid 50s (well...almost). I've done the 5 minute metabolism booster as seen on Dr. Oz as well as Fitness Blender red light, green light. Fitness Blender actually has a lot if good HIIT programs to choose from....and they're free!