Dam those Quorn Sausauges!

Options
noodlesno
noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
edited February 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
So this is a rant more than anything else!!

Friday is my weigh-in and logging day (but I do weigh daily). I was 195lbs yesterday and my goal was 196.1lbs for today's weigh-in. Though I had it in the bag...well the Quorn sausages really showed me who is boss.

What I did not know (till after I had 3 of them) is that Quorn sausages have more salt than a pizza....I mean seriously why? So my salt intake yesterday was super high for me.

Therefore my weight jumped to 196.5lbs which meant I missed my goal.

I know it is not a big deal and the water weight will come off. However, so very annoying.

Rant over. I will log it and just carry on as always. However, I have definitely fallen out of love with Quorn sausages and will never eat them the day before logging day again!!

Teach me for trying to be climate friendly by avoiding meat.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    :lol:

Yeah, there's always a catch.

However, your efforts are being rewarded! (Ozone hole improving) So thanks for that!

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/01/1132277
  • noodlesno
    Options
    :lol:

Yeah, there's always a catch.

However, your efforts are being rewarded! (Ozone hole improving) So thanks for that!

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/01/1132277

I will happily take water weigh for the ozone hole!!

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I've run into this issue frequently with plant-based "meat". Reading and comparing labels is key.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian 'meat' is just so high in calories and salt (and often lots of other stuff). I just ignore them completely and rather eat not fake meat but actually fresh produce if having a vegetarian day. Or add tofu (still higher in calories)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    @noodlesno

Since you already weigh every day, have you considered using a weight trend app or even a simple spreadsheet that will calculate a rolling average? Then when you record your "official" weigh-in weight, you can use the trending weight. It smooths out those day-to-day fluctuations. There are a number of websites; happy scale, trendweight, weightgrapher, and Libra.

I am working on a Google spreadsheet I am happy to share that does this calculation. I am happy to share it with you. It currently has some "dummy" data in it you'd have to overwrite. I have two sections; one is for people who weigh daily (best data) and one for people who weigh weekly. The "look back" is shorter for weekly weight people

It's all based on the ideas from The Hacker's Diet, especially the section on Signal and Noise.

Let me know if you'd like the link to the Google spreadsheet.
  • noodlesno
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @noodlesno

Since you already weigh every day, have you considered using a weight trend app or even a simple spreadsheet that will calculate a rolling average? Then when you record your "official" weigh-in weight, you can use the trending weight. It smooths out those day-to-day fluctuations. There are a number of websites; happy scale, trendweight, weightgrapher, and Libra.

I am working on a Google spreadsheet I am happy to share that does this calculation. I am happy to share it with you. It currently has some "dummy" data in it you'd have to overwrite. I have two sections; one is for people who weigh daily (best data) and one for people who weigh weekly. The "look back" is shorter for weekly weight people

It's all based on the ideas from The Hacker's Diet, especially the section on Signal and Noise.

Hey, you are very right I should take in the average a bit more. I use a spreadsheet myself but maybe looking at an app would be good.

I have downloaded Libra and Monitor Your Weight, just now. As I have a smart scale it is super easy to put in data. Libra seems to overestimate the data but Monitor Your Weight is giving some really good results. Will look to work on that going forward.

Thanks for the push.

N
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    noodlesno wrote: »
    @noodlesno

Hey, you are very right I should take in the average a bit more. I use a spreadsheet myself but maybe looking at an app would be good.

I have downloaded Libra and Monitor Your Weight, just now. As I have a smart scale it is super easy to put in data. Libra seems to overestimate the data but Monitor Your Weight is giving some really good results. Will look to work on that going forward.

Thanks for the push.

N

As a personal example:

Last night I went to an annual Volunteer Appreciation Event. It hasn't been held for the last few years; something has been going around. Anyway, they fed us "heavy appetizers." It was a buffet that I'd hardly call appetizers. California rolls, spanikopita, cold cuts, artichoke dip, fruits, veggies, some things that were gone before I got through the line, tiny sandwiches.... You name it. I had already decided I would eat whatever I want. I logged "one serving of appetizers" for 700 calories, but to be honest, it was probably more.

The scale today showed a number that was 3.6 pounds higher than yesterday. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been more. The "weighted moving average" from the spreadsheet formula I have also went up, but only by 0.3 pounds. The straight-up ten-day average only went up 0.1 pounds. I trust the "weighted moving average" more because it actually does take today and yesterday's weight as a more important measure in the formula than ten days ago.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm spanikopita...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    @noodlesno

Thanks for the push.

N

Note that in Libra you can change the number of days used for forecast and smoothing. (It's in Settings/Advanced Preferences). I'm not sure that will help you, but it's a feature that AFAIK the other apps don't have.

If you have some general understanding of statistics, you'll probably have an idea of the implications, but you may also get some intuition about it by playing with the values. Changing those values has no effect on the data you entered, just on how the graphs are drawn (and some of the calculated stats). You can change the settings back to the default of 7 days for each, and be exactly back where you started, no effect.

Personally, I prefer a longer setting in steady maintenance (so a single isolated weird day or two doesn't cause a big reaction in the graph), but a shorter setting when I'm trying to lose a few pounds (like now, post holidays, so that I don't get complacent about veering off my daily course).
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I go through this daily.I started weighing myself daily. My weight has a 4 pound or so window depending on what I ate day before
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    700 Cal for the plate of spinach pie I would eat 🤣😹🤣

What's double or triple that?🤷‍♂️🙃
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    PaulDalen wrote: »
    Plant based "meat" is extremely highly processed food. It may be ecologically sound from one point, but just as bad or worse from others. Just eat veggies if you are gonna be a vegetarian.

Unless you want to eat plant-based meat substitute, then by all means fit it into your food plan in appropriate amounts. If you want to eat bagels and cream cheese, that's OK too. Potato chips? Yep. Just make it an appropriate amount.

If you really want to eat meat and have a much lower ecological footprint and be kinder to the little rock we all share, start swapping out beef, pork, and chicken for crickets and larvae. That's going to be a non-starter for most people eating Western style food, but it's really got some serious advantages.
  • noodlesno
    Options
    Plant based "meat" is extremely highly processed food. It may be ecologically sound from one point, but just as bad or worse from others. Just eat veggies if you are gonna be a vegetarian.

You are not wrong. Vegetarian 'meat' is highly processed but so is 20% of my diet, whether that is chocolate, protein powders, light mayo, sweeteners...etc. I also eat 80% of my diet as nutrient-dense foods. I am very comfortable with this.

In terms of carbon impact. Quorn sausages are 14x less impactful than beef and 4x less impactful than chicken. So as this fits in my attempted quota of processed food verse nutrient-dense foods and is better for our impact on climate change...then I am going to keep going. Just probably not before weighing day!!

If you really want to eat meat and have a much lower ecological footprint and be kinder to the little rock we all share, start swapping out beef, pork, and chicken for crickets and larvae. That's going to be a non-starter for most people eating Western style food, but it's really got some serious advantages.

YES to the crickets and larvae....it is so much better for our impact. Unfortunately not readily available to most of us in the western world. Hopefully one day.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

You are not wrong. Vegetarian 'meat' is highly processed but so is 20% of my diet, whether that is chocolate, protein powders, light mayo, sweeteners...etc. I also eat 80% of my diet as nutrient-dense foods. I am very comfortable with this.

In terms of carbon impact. Quorn sausages are 14x less impactful than beef and 4x less impactful than chicken. So as this fits in my attempted quota of processed food verse nutrient-dense foods and is better for our impact on climate change...then I am going to keep going. Just probably not before weighing day!!

YES to the crickets and larvae....it is so much better for our impact. Unfortunately not readily available to most of us in the western world. Hopefully one day.
    lol, no, hopefully.

• mtaratoot
    Options

lol, no, hopefully.

@tomcustombuilder

Why not? Is it just because you're squeamish because it's somehow gotten into your head that you "shouldn't" eat insects? I'm reading a book about it. The author said when she brings a booth to places where there's kids, they sneak back for seconds and thirds because they haven't yet internalized the idea that "we shouldn't eat bugs." They actually come back because they are delicious.

I admit I am a little bit squeamish about it, but I will gladly start incorporating them into my diet. I will probably lose what apprehension I have by the time I finish the book, and I might even order some live insects to cook. I know I can already get cricket FLOUR. That's a good first step so you can't even tell that it's an insect. Kind of like a steak - many people (possibly most) who love a good steak might be squeamish about slaughtering cattle and butchering them into tasty bits. The caveat for crickets and cicadas is that they have the same protein that's in shrimp, so it can be dangerous for people with shrimp allergies to eat them. That's not the same with wax worms though.

Open your mind. You might be surprised.