Tips for Hour glass body type

Options
I recently had a Dexa Body Scan which showed me that my fat distribution is evenly distributed. I have a large frame with hourglass body type. That said, I’m 51 and struggled with weight for the last 20 years (4 kids age 9-18). I’ve recommitted to losing the 50 pounds that I need to get to a healthy BMI. I’m 195 and 5’4 right now. I do strength training 2x a week plus walk 5x. In January I cut my alcohol consumption significantly. I suspect that there are certain things that someone with my body type would help in reaching their goal (diet, type of workouts). Any hour glass gals have insights, tips to share?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    polvo71 wrote: »
    I recently had a Dexa Body Scan which showed me that my fat distribution is evenly distributed. I have a large frame with hourglass body type. That said, I’m 51 and struggled with weight for the last 20 years (4 kids age 9-18). I’ve recommitted to losing the 50 pounds that I need to get to a healthy BMI. I’m 195 and 5’4 right now. I do strength training 2x a week plus walk 5x. In January I cut my alcohol consumption significantly. I suspect that there are certain things that someone with my body type would help in reaching their goal (diet, type of workouts). Any hour glass gals have insights, tips to share?

I started close to where you are (183 at 5'5" in my case), but older (59).

Strength training is great, and walking is fine for cardio, especially for starters.

Body shape isn't particularly relevant to how one should lose weight, at least not in anything evidence based (scientific) I've seen, though lots of internet marketers would love to sell you a program based on whether you're a mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph body type; in menopause or not; female or not; etc., etc.

My suggestion would be not to fall for any of that. Free resources can work fine, and there's a lot of no-nonsense advice on this site, from regular users as well as some from official MFP.

So, I lost 50-some pounds in less than a year, have stayed in a healthy weight range for around 7 years since, was 131-point-something pounds this morning, up a little from my best weight post-holidays. I'm not an hourglass, I'm built like a 14-year-old boy, basically, despite being a 67-year-old woman. 🤷‍♀️

What can work is to get a calorie goal from MFP for sensibly moderate loss (pound a week is good, though you could probably go a pound and a half for a while if you want to make it a little tougher to stick with). MFP expects you to set your activity level based on your life excluding intentional exercise, then log exercise (or sync a compatible tracker) and eat back those calories too, which will keep you at that same estimated loss rate.

After 4-6 weeks on that routine (at least one full menstrual cycle if that applies), compare your average weekly weight loss to your target weight loss rate, and adjust calorie intake if needed to dial in your target loss rate. (Assume 500 calories per day is one pound a week, do the math for fractions.)

It's calories that matter for weight loss directly, but bonus points for health if you also get adequate protein, healthy fats, and lots of nice veggies/fruits. Those tend to be filling, too, which makes reduced-calorie life easier. You can choose foods you enjoy eating, just try to get them to add up and average to reasonable levels of nutrients and calories: Close is fine, no need to be exact.

That's pretty much how it can work for any and all body shapes, ages, sexes, etc. People with some relevant health condition may need some extra guidance, but you don't mention anything like that.

Best wishes!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    polvo71 wrote: »
    Thanks all. Sounds sensible to me. I guess it’s easy to be persuaded by all the articles on the subject of body type and diet. So many rabbit holes to get lost in.
    people can’t make money on articles/books that simply say Fatloss is as simple as a consistent calorie deficit. People want to write about some voodoo that only THEY have have the answer to and if you subscribe to their website or buy their book they’ll enlighten you.

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said regarding no special diets or tricks. I am writing only to say that I had a similar all over weight distribution pattern to yours before I lost weight and the benefit of that is that it is a bit healthier than carrying a lot of belly weight/visceral fat weight. Also I had no problems with loose skin which some people seem to struggle with when losing weight. I weighed a bit more than you but am 5’8” (used to be taller) and lost just shy of 80 lbs. I enjoy cooking so I found that once I developed a repertoire of meals I and others I cook for liked and became proficient at weighing and recording everything I ate it was pretty easy to lose at a steady pace even without a crazy exercise regime (I mostly walk and in the summer I swim/do water aerobics). Once a year I try to splurge on a few days or a week at a spa with lots of exercise options and super healthy food and meditation bc I care for 3 elderly /disabled relatives while working full time so need to escape for a few days.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    What the others have said. Also, with regards to workout you might be able to do a few things there even if progress will be slow. Work on your posture. If you slump forward and have anterior pelvic tilt (office jobs) then your belly might stick out more and hide the hourglass shape, and your shoulders will also add less to the hourglass shape. I'm personally a fan of compound strength training, but maybe you can focus a bit more on shoulders and bum to add a bit more muscle there. As said, it will be slow, but could add a bit more shape <3

Signed: hourglass who builds muscles quickly but would prefer to be a beanstalk without curves. Sigh.