Jillian Michaels 30 Shred vs Nerd Fitness?

Options
I've been doing Nerd Fitness for about a month now and I HATE strength training. I constantly have to make myself do it. I looked up ways to make it more fun and I noticed a lot of people talking about Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I'm thinking about doing this instead since I think it would be easier to follow someone and keep me more motivated.
So does anyone or has anyone done Jillian Michaels? How does it compare to regular weight circuits? Mine consisted of squats, push ups, lunges, dumbbell lifting, planks, and then jumping jacks

Replies

• redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just completed 30DS the day before yesterday and started RI30 this morning. I'm not familiar with Nerd Fitness, but before Jillian Michaels I wasn't a fan of strength training either. What I do like about her workouts is that the intervals are 30 seconds each, then you move on to the next set, which helps keep the workout moving without getting too boring. The other great thing is that the workouts are only 30 minutes, so it's easy to motivate yourself to do them. In 30DS there were a lot of squats and lunges, lifts, jumping jacks, etc (pretty much all that you listed below) but they are in combo with each other, for the most part. Personally, I love her workouts, and after the first RI30 workout I think I like this one more than 30DS.
    I had great results with 30DS, but I didn't start to notice a difference until the end of week 2, almost to week 3, then the changes really started to show. (I follow a lot of threads on success stories with 30DS and quite a few people noticed physical changes right away, which kind of bummed me out when I wasn't seeing any, but I stuck with it anyway and the results came eventually.)
    I recommend JM to anyone that asks me about my changes, but seeing as how I haven't tried any other workouts, I may be a little biased. Hope this helps! :)
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know there were some posts about joining the 30DS so I went ahead and decided to do it. I probably won't be doing it every day (I have school all day tues and thurs then shortly after I have an intense 60 min zumba class). I was doing my weight circuit 3 times a week. I still want to try it though, my weight circuit is very boring.
    Thanks again :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness > JM any day of the week. WAY more quality in EVERYTHING they do.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love Nerd Fitness and am currently working through a 6 week goal period of doing the beginner body weight workout 2-3 times a week. I did 30 days of the Shred and found that it really hurt my knees.

The 30DS workouts have a LOT of lunges in them and with the pace of the sets that Jillian has you do them in I began to feel a lot of strain and tenderness in my knees.

I like Nerd Fitness because the exercises are straightfoward without any odd modifications to them, they are self-paced, and Steve emphasizes that form is as important as # of reps.

After I finish this 6-week challenge I'll either move on to the Advanced Body Weight Workout or maybe Stronglifts.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So does anyone or has anyone done Jillian Michaels? How does it compare to regular weight circuits? Mine consisted of squats, push ups, lunges, dumbbell lifting, planks, and then jumping jacks
    Yup, so does 30DS!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    How are your knees? Mine absolutely won't tolerate 30DS.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

That's because Jillian doesn't know jack about proper form and rock star jumps are a very very bad exercise to do.
  • kattgrey
    kattgrey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the few people who are saying its straining on the knees! I was SO sore from doing this that there was no way I could do it every day. (the 30DS that is). Every other day was even pushing it for me. I haven't done this in a few years, but when I did do it, I was in a lot better shape than I am now.. so I couldnt imagine trying it now. It is INSANE.. which some people like, but I couldn't do it with how badly it hurt my body! I think JM is VERY inspirational and motivational though!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

That's because Jillian doesn't know jack about proper form and rock star jumps are a very very bad exercise to do.

yup. I found other things to do instead.

Besides - exercise videos make me stabby.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred isn't really strength training.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    30 Day Shred isn't really strength training.

This is true. JM workouts are NOT strength training. They are ALL cardio.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30 Day Shred, and it is cardio, not strength training. I did lose some inches!