Counting Calories Question

mrskidher
mrskidher Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi All: I just started 1 week ago. When I signed up it said 1200 calories a day. My question is am I suppose to count calories for things like vegetables, salad, fruit etc?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Yes. Count everything.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    yes.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Yes. Everything counts.

To get an idea of how to plan your meals, you can enter foods into the database and look at their calorie and nutritional value. That way you can shop for the foods that will give you the most bang for your calorie buck.

I think it's even good to enter foods that have no calorie value like unsweetened tea and water. That way you can learn which items positively impact your weight loss.
  • roliepolieolie
    roliepolieolie Posts: 37 Member
    It's probably not the best idea to only survive on 1200 calories a day. You'll try to lose 2lb a week, but that won't be the result if you accidentally eat more than you should. ANd when i tried it, it was seriously depressing me. I suggest you revise your goals to lose 1lb a week- that way it'll take longer to lose the weight, but you'lll keep it off longer and stay much, much happier.
    But to answer your question- yes you're supposed to count EVERYTHING. From your actual meal, to fruits and veggies, to even little tastes of things you had. It's gonna be a little hard at first, but you can do it! :)
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Yes, count everything.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    EVERY. THING.

And WEIGH it, do not use measuring cups/spoons. Volume is inaccurate.
  • mrskidher
    mrskidher Posts: 2 Member
    No wonder I didn't loose anything my first week. I thought I didn't need to count fruit and vegetables and I eat a ton of them!

I also think I better start weighing things.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Everything - even if you swallow toothpaste
  • britelite3169
    britelite3169 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi, I count the calorie in fruit but ignore the sugar content. If you are eating loads of fruit then MFP will tell you are over on this.
  • terricakes
    terricakes Posts: 16 Member
    I agree with roliepolieolie...i had the 2lb a week goal and found it too restricting as 1200 calories were just too little. I changed my goal to 1lb a week and now have a daily allowance of 1410. It's amazing the difference that extra 200 has made. It feels more achievable. Also, don't just add food calories, add everything and make sure exercise is added too.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    It's probably not the best idea to only survive on 1200 calories a day. You'll try to lose 2lb a week, but that won't be the result if you accidentally eat more than you should. ANd when i tried it, it was seriously depressing me. I suggest you revise your goals to lose 1lb a week- that way it'll take longer to lose the weight, but you'lll keep it off longer and stay much, much happier.
    But to answer your question- yes you're supposed to count EVERYTHING. From your actual meal, to fruits and veggies, to even little tastes of things you had. It's gonna be a little hard at first, but you can do it! :)

This! And I put myself down as sedentary and then added any exercise I did and ate those calories back - 1200 calories was just too little for me at the start. I am now easily managing a net 1380, but I wouldn't like to go any lower really.
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Hi All: I just started 1 week ago. When I signed up it said 1200 calories a day. My question is am I suppose to count calories for things like vegetables, salad, fruit etc?

Don't forget about liquids.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    OP - your dog is way too cute
  • yes, log everything. I did that at first, and was amazed to see how everything added up. and when I went to
    log a milkshake that I usually would have gotten in the past. found it was like 780 calories for a small shake!
    so you can make more informed choices! you add me if you like. that is all.
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Sounds like maybe you have done WW where fruits and veggies are zero points? All those calories will add up :)
  • memawx12
    memawx12 Posts: 11 Member
    MFP has a huge data base of foods and their calorie count. Just go to "FOOD" and type in each item you ate; it will provide the calories. Same thing with EXERCISE tab. Good luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    If you eat it...count it. Everything except water has calories. Some don't have very many, but they still count.
  • memawx12
    memawx12 Posts: 11 Member
    To those that are saying 1200 calories are not enough......I stick to 1200 calories daily and am losing 1-2 pounds each week. I'm an older person and don't do the strenuous exercises; just walking and low impact strength exercises for arms and tummy. Seems to be working for me.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    I have only a few days under my belt of counting calories. It is something I thought I could never do. I am doing okay with it, but can't see doing it for life. Also, do you all do on the days when you are away from your normal routine, such as being on a trip or going camping. I will be camping next weekend.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Log everything, if not to count the calories, then to be able to monitor patterns and what works best for you :)
This discussion has been closed.