Meal & snack ideas

Options
MotoGinger
MotoGinger Posts: 1 Member
Heading back to the office. looking for some quick ideas, as I need to start making lunches and snacks, so I don't go out and eat unhealthy.

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a fridge and microwave? Makes life easier if you do.

Regulars for me are: dinner leftovers, soup, salad, a collection of bits - flat bread/hummous/olives/crudites/cherry tomatoes

Salads are substantial, a grain as a base with variations on roast veg, tomatoes, spring onions, grated carrot. With a couple of falafel, slice of frittata, hard boiled egg.

Snacks are usually fruit.
  • ButterflyBren
    ButterflyBren Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge? Hope so! If so - I find Greek yogurt with some fresh berries and walnuts to be a satisfying, delicious, healthy snack (or meal)
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What do you tend to eat — i am generally busy & less likely to be in grazing mode at work so dont snack a lot. But something like string cheese or babybell or a small portion of nuts and dried fruit i have weighed out before could work. There are also cups of hummus or guac or you could bring edamame. Or hard boiled eggs. All of these work as lunch when eaten with some cherry tomatoes and sliced up cucumbers and pepper strips and a clementine or bag of grapes or an apple for dessert.

For a more traditional or hearty lunch i usually have soup or a salad of mostly greens with a protein like leftover cold chicken, turkey deli meat or a can of tuna and some cucumbers and tomatoes. If i have leftover veggies from dinner i add them. If you buy a prepared grain salad at the grocery or make one i would use a small scoop of it as the protein topper rather than eat it on its own. Grain bowls add up to lots of calories and carbs for little volume fast. I also use wasa crackers instead of bread for open faced sandwiches of turkey with cucumbers and lacey swiss cheese. No need for mayo or butter since it is a crisp bread. Or use a bit of cream cheese (whipped is easier to spread and has more air so you use less) with a slice of smoked salmon or other fish. Or just to[ with veggies - leftover roasted from dinner work great.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Options
    When I was working I would meal prep on Sunday for my lunches. In the cooler months I'd make soup in the slow cooker and in the warmer months I'd make a huge salad. I'd maybe cook up some chicken breast or egg cup type things. All I had to do in the mornings was grab a container of soup or salad, and add a side of protein, like leftovers from the night before, chicken breast, or egg cups.

I found that my snacks had to equal, or be better than the snacks being offered at work. If not, I was doomed. I ate a lot of Greek yoghurt and berries, homemade muffins, hummus and veggies, apple slices and peanut butter, popcorn, etc.