Hard times.

Is anyone else completely terrified of gaining the weight back that adding calories or trying to accurately pin point you maintenance calories is hard? I’m 5’3 27 years old and 122 pounds. I work a desk job but workout 6 days (sometimes even 7) a week for at least an hour. I don’t know how to find out my maintenance calories with my activity level. Or how to distinguish how “intense” my workouts are.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    I agree with what @AnnPT77 wrote. I'll add this:

Have you been logging your food and workouts completely and accurately? If so, you have a great database to start from. If you know what deficit you've been averaging over the last several months and know how fast you've been losing weight, you can calibrate whether or not you've been losing at the rate expected by your calorie budget (in and out).

If you've been losing faster than expected, you can probably add back more calories, and if you've been losing slower than you would have expected, you should maybe start adding back fewer calories. Then, and this is important, keep logging accurately and completely! Then observe over several more weeks to see if you have it right.

You might even be surprised and get to a point where you're actually afraid you won't stop losing! That happened to me when I first lost weight five years ago. That was really weird. I had nothing to worry about to say the least.

Use the good habits you've developed and build on them to craft what maintenance looks like for you.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    I agree with the above advice and am chiming in only to confirm that trouble calibrating so you stop losing is indeed common as mtaroot says. That was my problem and I have been trying to get it right and gain back weight for several months now after continuing to lose after I wanted to stop. Don’t get stressed over finding the maintenance point if you are continuing to eat sensibly and pay attention because it could just make the whole effort worse. It is stressful to make yourself gain weight bc you have lost too much so its better just to try to manage the end point to begin maintenance from with if you can.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    edited February 2023
    I just hit my maintenance goal this past Thursday and have been experiencing the same things

I've been eating about 4-500 more calories a day now. My workouts feel a ton better. I was doing fasted workouts but now I have a glass of orange juice and a whole wheat english muffin beforehand. Much more energy after my run to do strength training.

I jumped on the scale this morning and my weight hasn't really changed. I'm learning that as long as I keep up with my exercise and don't go back to bad habits that everything is going to be OK. I'm slowly realizing that.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,388 Member
    Oh, baby. I feel you and feel you again.

I get smart cracks (and some legit concern) about “why do you do as much as you do?”

I just answer “because I’m running from weight”.

It always feels like it’s nipping at my heels, but I guess in a way, that’s good. The specter keeps me in line.

They say most people gain some or all of the weight back within five years.

My five year anniversary of starting will be in September.

Upon thinking about it, I’ll be in that group, but not “of” that group. I have put on about fifteen from my lowest, because I was scary some intentional, some not. I’m at a very happy place right now, even rethinking my goal of losing travel pounds. I’m strong, healthy, and fit all the clothes I fit fifteen pounds ago.

The headspace is completely different right now, but the “completely terrified” of going back? Yeah, yeah I AM indeed.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited February 2023
    Posting again (I mentioned this in another thread) to add in case it helps the OP or anyone else that I met with a nutritionist since posting in respone to your question. She told me I need to eat about 300 extra calories a day to gain back a few pounds slowly. This will allow me to quit when I want just like when I was losing (it is almost exactly how much I was cutting out daily to lose so that makes sense, obviously). I could cut that in half to maintain.
    As to what I am eating/drinking for these calories - not much, and mostly foods high in calcium for my bones. So an extra coffee or tea latte a day made with 2% or skim milk at home and 24 almonds or a greek yogurt gets me there. Otherwise I am continuing to eat as I have been.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    No where near my goal yet BUT I was curious about what my maintenance calories would be. I tabulated the last 90 days of caloric intake (I log every bite), I deducted my legit exercise calories (log every minute) and then subtracted my pounds loss (pounds times ~3500 calories per) and divided by my 90 days for the net deficit per day average. Compared against my “estimated” BMR and TDEE from online calculators gives me an idea.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    No where near my goal yet BUT I was curious about what my maintenance calories would be. I tabulated the last 90 days of caloric intake (I log every bite), I deducted my legit exercise calories (log every minute) and then subtracted my pounds loss (pounds times ~3500 calories per) and divided by my 90 days for the net deficit per day average. Compared against my “estimated” BMR and TDEE from online calculators gives me an idea.

That's a great exercise to do from time to time; it gives you totally personalized information. My question is: were you at all surprised with the answer, or was it about what you had assumed?

I am sure you already realize that when you get to your goal and go into maintenance, your calorie requirement will be lower. Still - knowing what you now know at your current weight, if you eat even any bit below that maintenance level, you will continue to lose fat. You know that the rate will depend on the deficit, and you can fine tune that so you keep losing at a healthy rate and continue to see progress until that day you say, "Oh wow - I'm in maintenance now - that was easier than I thought!"
  • chizzel2950
    chizzel2950 Posts: 2 Member
    Yep