Allergy Alternative...

Options
lnave2003
lnave2003 Posts: 1 Member
I need help figuring out substitutions for avocados. I always hear people talking about how healthy avocado toast is, but since I am allergic to avocados I don't have that option. Any ideas on substitutions that are near the same amount of calories?
Tagged:

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    It depends on the context. Avocado is fairly unique in being a culinary vegetable (but botanical fruit) that provides fat and fiber. I can't think of one food that's going to offer a similar taste, texture, and nutritional profile, plus make sense as a substitute in all contexts.

On a sandwich? I'd go for a combo of mayo and some veggies (tomato, lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber, etc.). Or maybe a fried egg, depending on the sandwich.

In a salad? Maybe some cheese, olives, cubed salami, hard-boiled egg, and/or veggies.

In a dip (i.e., guacamole)? Maybe hummus? Or a spinach and sour cream dip?
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There’s nothing magically healthy about avocado toast. Avocados have good fat and fiber and yes, avocado toast made with whole grain bread will probably be a better nutritional choice than waffles and bacon. But you’re not suffering a huge loss or anything if you can’t eat it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Nothing is going to taste quite like avocado. Avocados are much-touted these days, but they're not in any way magical for health, weight loss, or fitness.

What matters is getting good overall nutrition at appropriate calories, on average over a day or few, from the foods you can eat (and ideally enjoy eating).

You can get MUFA/PUFA fats from some nuts, and some fiber, too. That would probably be one of the closer things nutritionally to avocados. But if you get the healthy fats from something like olive oil (among many other options), and the fiber from nice high-fiber veggies, you arrive at about the same place nutritionally.

There are no superfoods, except in marketing pitches.
  • ghrmj
    ghrmj Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think silken tofu would come close to the texture, but not sure how you might season that to approximate the taste of avocado on toast.
    My husband eats hummus on toast - that with some tomatoes/veggies might be a good substitute for you.
    (I feel your pain - I am allergic to chick peas so all the good hummus-y foods are off limits to me.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Roasted Jerusalem artichoke, then mashed is tasty and takes on pretty much any flavorings like spices, garlic etc.