When I over reach on exercise goals, the next day, I...

Options
TDBK39
TDBK39 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2023 in Challenges
What do you most try to do?

When I over reach on exercise goals, the next day, I... 2 votes

Manage my calories closer
0% 0 votes
Minimize my exercise
50% 1 vote
Rest
50% 1 vote
Continue according to my plan
0% 0 votes
Completely derail from plan
0% 0 votes

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,284 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by 'over reach on exercise goals'?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    What lietchi asked.

Are we talking sore muscles? Fatigue (how extreme, and does the person still feel it the next day?)? Are we talking one day, or about the whole program being Too Much, i.e., a bad day or a bad overall plan? Are we talking doing the exact same exercises every day thus taxing the exact same physiological systems? Is the person pretty new to exercise, not new to exercise but adding a new type or replacing an old type with a new one (what type(s)), very experienced but overincreasing load, or very experienced but responding unusually to normal load? Is there some other relevant factor in the mix (like poor sleep, sub-ideal nutrition, whatever)?

I don't think there's a generic answer, at the level of generality of the poll questions.

Also, if I over-reach on exercise one day (or maybe even longer), I don't exactly understand why I'd manage calories closer. (I might bank some exercise calories for a later day sometimes, but not in a precisely quid pro quo kind of way.) I want to fuel my exercise adequately. Personally, I exercise for fun and health - and did so for around a dozen years while staying fat, didn't change it to lose weight. Other than needing to fuel exercise enough so I don't underperform, and needing to account for the calories on average somehow, exercise doesn't have much bearing on weight management in my specific case.